Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Why don’t I like shooting a .45 1911?

B.H.M.

Snake,

Just wondering if those SWC's are moly. Noticed you're right at the max of 4.3gr. My book says 880fps but haven't chrono'd that load since I don't like going all the way to book max.

In the process of working up some 200gr moly SWC loads and want to stay major PF. Will get the chrono out and see where I stand with 4.2gr (where I stopped).

*edit to add: Also running 14# recoil spring on STI Trojan 5.0

Edited by Erik S.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmmmm...what exactly about it is almost painful? It's obviously going to have a lot more pop to it than a full size 9mm, or an all steel .40 will...that's just physics. I sort of chuckle when people (not USPSA/IDPA shooters) talk about the "powerful 9mm"...it's really on the light side (heck, it's only more powerful than about half a dozen modern cartridges)....so I think that sometimes sets people's expectations up to be surprised by anything else.

I'm not even remotely a large person, but I've had a 1911 in .45 since I was 13...and it didn't hurt me with factory ammo then, so it makes me wonder where that actual issue is. A beavertail (a real one, not a drop in) will let you get your hand higher, and smooth out the area that transfers the impulse to your hand, so that would help some. Obviously, lighter ammo will help since most factory ammo is around 200PF give or take a bit. Fast powers and heavy bullets will make for the softest combinations. R,

If I may resurrect this thread and hijack it for a moment...

Fast powder and heavy bullets make for the softest combination? We're saying that fast powder, and a heavy bullet make for lower felt recoil? I'm having trouble wrapping my newbie head around that. I would think that a slower powder would make for softer felt recoil. I understand how a heavy bullet could help with that--half mass times velocity squared and all that--but the powder thing I don't get.

Would anyone care to comment on that?

(For background, I've just gotten back into shooting, having shot a bit of bullseye 20 years ago. Shooting Colt 1911, 4.8gn Titegroup with 200gn JFP, 800fps for 160fpe.)

Edited by Ben Diss

I think it was meant that lower velocities with a heavier bullet make for less felt recoil since the kinetic energy can be lower. Fast powders have nothing to do with it if they're producing high velocities, though. It's just TYPICAL that fast powders produce some of the lower velocities. It MIGHT be deduced that fast powders make for less felt recoil, but the statement is flawed.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm hoping that after you have that pistol a while and have shot it a bit more, you will change your mind. True, it isn't like shooting s 22LR, but when it comes right down to it, it doesn't really hurt you. When I was in the military stationed in Korea I was on a pistol team. We shot every other day from 230PM to 430PM, we used older worn 1911's and ball ammo. Some of the shooters thought the recoil was tremendous, but they were new people who hadn't been around handguns and were fairly new to shooting. Most of them had heard the horror stories from GI's about the recoil of 1911, truly, that is all it is, horror stories. When it comes right down to it a 1911 firing 45 ACP ammo doesn't recoil near as much as some of the magnum cartridges. Try a 45-70 or a 308 Winchester in a handgun if you want to see what recoil really is. You will get used to a bit of recoil, you could also reload your ammo and load it down a bit.

30-06 in handgun is a beast to shoot! Only fired 2 shots and said I was done. If you want to get the advantage on a local GM, have him shoot a few rounds out of that just before a match. Instant flinch! haha No, it doesn't have the same effect as swinging 3 bats in the on-deck circle. :roflol:

[/drift]

Any update on your progress shooting the .45?

If you dont like the 45... dont shoot it, if it isnt natural to you, it never will be. I personally love .45 - but not everyone can handle it. look into a 40 or something. good luck.

I think the recoil in 40 is about the same as a 45..

Maybe even sharper..

Cheers,

Los

If you dont like the 45... dont shoot it, if it isnt natural to you, it never will be. I personally love .45 - but not everyone can handle it. look into a 40 or something. good luck.

I think the recoil in 40 is about the same as a 45..

Maybe even sharper..

Cheers,

Los

I FULLY agree with that. It may come back to preference (snap vs push), but even shooting 200gr bullets out of my .45 running major PF, I still find the recoil more manageable than a .40. Not that a .40 "hurts" or I can't handle it, just a qualitative perspective on my part.

I shot a 230 grain .45 over the weekend, and the recoil wasnt terrible. I am not a huge fan of .40 - and I havent shot it that often. I guess it all depends on which gun you are shooting it out of too. The Glock 21, and kimber custom II work great with that bullet weight.

• 3 weeks later...

BHM, you didn't mention how long you have been shooting or what your specific experience has been with a 1911. IF you just got the 1911 and just got it in .45 Auto, there is definitely a learning/experience curve. The following are some very specific observations, having just returned from the shooting range today and shot 3 designs. I shot a 9mm Browning Hi Power, with both 115 JHP and 147 Subsonic, an EAA Witness (all steel) in .38 Super +P and a Springfield Armory Champion in .45 Auto with good old 230 grain Hardball.

First off, the other two weapons you mentioned in your original question are both wider in the grip area that meets the web of the hand. The 1911 design can at times, depending on back strap AND grip safety, be a bit punishing. This is just the way 1911s are until you are used to them, comfortable with them, and tuned your load to your requirements.

Both my "non-1911" guns of the day have the wider grip in the area for the web of the hand to have recoil impulses distributed. Both my smaller caliber weapons of the day were VERY comfortable to shoot for me. I have been shooting informally for 35 years. Even shooting the .38 Super in +P is a pleasure compared to shooting the 1911 in .45 Auto. Gotta remember, the impulse from a 138 grain projectile, even at +P ratings is much less than a .45 Auto hardball in 230 grains. It is a combination of the physics of the round and the design qualities of the gun.

The 1911's narrow area of the grip safety can definitely have one notice the more robust recoil of that 230 grain projectile. BUT, I also enjoy shooting the bruiser. After a good while, and this is not just to be macho, you just enjoy the pleasure of knowing you are launching a heavy projectile down range. This has little to do with the "gaming" of competition shooting. It may just take a while to get used to shooting the 1911 in .45 and finding a comfortable shooting grip and appropriate round to shoot. Try one in .38 Super. I suspect you would enjoy the 1911 much more.

Guns and rounds can be tailored as suggested by most of the responses. If you just have to have the .45 auto, put some light loads through it and use those for a while, then work your way up.

Edited by superguy38

• 2 weeks later...

Maybe try getting the weapon tuned to you specifically.

Is the grip cutting into you at all or is it more a recoil and blast thing thats making it not fun?

The govt 1911 DOES take some getting used to. For experienced shooters with experience with a ....say a Glock 9mm?

I would say they will have to fire AT LEAST 500-1000 rounds to "get used" to the increased recoil, blast, etc...

Some of the sharp edges on various parts can be eased by a good gunsmith....you could try grip tape to improve your hold on it....(guys are wincing now) I know grip tape on the wood grips of a 1911 is like throwing sand on a nice paint job on the new car....but it can sometimes help out a new shooter.

Make sure your gripping the weapon properly in line with the radius/ulna bones so the recoil is taken up properly.

Good stance with a slight forward lean can help with recovery when shooting multiple rounds quickly.

The .45 govt model is like its own religion...you either believe or you don't...not too many middle of the road people.

JK