Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Aiming Question

Browning40

If I got the question correct, you accuracy is better when shooting at a smaller target as opposed to shooting at a larger target.

If that is the case, the larger the aiming area, the larger the group. It's the old aim small, miss small. When you shoot the larger target, don't just hit the target, try to hit the center of the target. The center of a target is the same size no matter the dimentions of the target.

Dwight

i agree with the above unless your talking about how high the target is placed on the sticks in the stand you could be looking over the rear sight and not aligning them properly on taller targets due to the height transition. try focusing on the sight alignment.

I agree with joe that he is talking about target height as he states in his post. I'm not sure what could cause this, but I would again agree with joe that the sights aren't aligned properly or you're just not used to shooting targets level with you. I know alot of guys that shoot stuff off the ground at the range (informal shooters not into competition) and they can hit pretty small targets, but you put them on a USPSA cardboard target and they can't shoot well at all. Not sure if there is any scientific proof that can tie these together, but just a thought.

I see my error when I read the question.... I guess my eyes are going... couldn't tell the difference between ' and ". I guess I would need to know the distance to the targets. For longer distance targets I can't imagine what would cause the accuracy differences. For close targets a short target may cause the shooter to lean slightly forward giving them a stronger stance.

Dwight