Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Proper sight adjustment

mcbutler

I do several things:

First, I use a laser bore sighter when adjusting sights. This gives me a general idea of where it will hit. I general sight in at 15 yards (that is usually the average "long shot" at our matches. I get the idea of whether it is dead on, 6 o'clock hold, etc...

2nd, I go out with a rifle zero target and take slow fire shots at 5, 10, 15, 20, and 25 yards (I do this freestyle, because I shoot matches freestyle... I only use bags if I am way off and want to eliminate myself as a problem).

Lastly, I attack a plate rack at 5, 10, 15 and 20 yards (the bay with our rack is in maxes out close to 20 yards). Since I do not shoot bullseye, this gives me the confidence that the gun is producing the accuracy that I need.

Fully agree with HS101 about sighting in freestyle for USPSA/IDPA applications. However, assuming your trigger pull is good, it shouldn't matter what way you sight in.

No factory pistol should be off by enough to merit advanced sight-in methods and your bullet won't drop much between 15 and 25yds, so if you're somewhere in there, you'll be comp ready after 5min at the range.

Thanks for the info.

I use a rest at 15-20 yards for my open guns as well as lron sight guns. While it is true we shoot freestyle, the idea is that we are not perfect and using a rest takes a lot of the human error out ot the equation. And for the Noob this is fairly substantual. Note that do this with the ammo you intend to shoot and verify any time you change ammo. Over time I have found that this works better than shooting free style. Not to say that I don't do that to verify that it is on, but when I know its off I get the rest out.

Shooting 2 inches to the left is just enough to miss those steel poppers.