Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Setting up the LNL for 40SW

So I have tried a few set ups and just want to confirm I am on the right track.

I have the EGW undersized decapper/resizer, powderFunnel and drop, powder cop, hornady seater (crimp?) and then what, a lee Crimp Die (not the FCD, or the FCD? Or just use the Hornady?

Here is what I have found out. With the Undersized sizer all the cases fit the gauge and barrel, but the finished product has a small bulge where you can see the bullet has expanded the shell, but again, it gauges.

If I use the Hornady decapper/sizer the case will not gauge that last 1/8th inch. If I use the lee standard decapper/sizer same thing.

So the Undersized decapper/sizer is the way to go there.

Now for the last (crimp) stage....

If I put the Lee FCD at the last stage it will smooth out the case, but when I pulled a round apart I could see where it actually sized the bullet portion in the case (Montana Gold 180gr.). I figure this is probably not good as that will only allow the exposed part of the bullet to contact the barrel.

So, is this a case of the Lee FCD doing more harm that good? If so it is going on the classifieds!

Mike

Just use the Hornady dies with the U-die thrown in. The Lee FCD is a solution for a problem that doesn't exist IMO.

The standard size dies should get your cases to gauge though, are you sure you have the die adjusted correctly? This would raise a flag with me.

That "bulge" by the bullet is a good thing. Thats the classic "coke bottle shape" Be happy. Don't size your bullets with the FCD. Thats just silly. If it didn't size the bullets that would be another thing. Just use a regular crimp die or set your seating die up to crimp and seat at the same time. Basicly, your rounds pass the case gauge. Your done. Have a beer. :cheers:

OK, that's what I was thinking.

I think I will use the Hornady Decapper, then the U Die without the decapper pin, powder drop/powederfunnel) powder cop, hornady seater/crimp, that way the brass gets worked a little at a time. and I can use all my 5 spots,

Mike

Sure, I can do that.

do you want it just near the mouth after the taper, or about 1/2inch inside the die?

I have the basic digital calipers, shoot me a reply back and I will measure them tonight,

Mike

They should be the same all the way in. Get your calipers inside the mouth and kinda rotate them till you get a consistent measurment. I doubt they are tapered but you will know when you measure them.

Thanks.

OK, that's what I was thinking.

I think I will use the Hornady Decapper, then the U Die without the decapper pin, powder drop/powederfunnel) powder cop, hornady seater/crimp, that way the brass gets worked a little at a time. and I can use all my 5 spots,

Mike

Personally, if you want to use both size dies I'd chunk the powder cop. Just give each case a look and all will be well.

If it's worth anything to you I run both size dies without a powder check and separate seat/crimp stations.