Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Lee Cast bullet in S&W 625

earplug

Question about bullet casting. Does any of you use the Drop Out bullet mould spray from Midway? I tried it on aluminum moulds, and just can't it to work at all. Now it has ruined one of my moulds. Whats going on here...anyone knows?

The stuff is nasty and does not work as well as plug up the air vents in the molds if you want some I will give you a can or two.

Thats what I thought! Tried rubbing alcohol (read moonshine)to get the stuff cleaned out of the mould, but guess it has to be polished out instead. Smoke residue from a god old match, seems to work the best. So much for trying the fancy stuff.

It may sound kind of silly, but when I get a new aluminum mould, I take plane paste toothpaste and a pencil eraser and kind of scrub the cavities. I can't say it helps, but I can't say that any of my (5) six cavity moulds don't work either. I also drill the blocks and put a set screw in to keep the sprue screw from backing out and countersink a wood screw under the bearing surface of the cutter handle where it rides along the block to prevent it from wearing into the block. Perhaps I should take a picture.

Lee

I shoot the Lee 452-228-1R in both auto and revolver. I cast from range scrap, lube with Rooster Jacket and load them without sizing. OAL is 2.45 and I load on a SDB. Your problem is almost certainly the Lee FCD swagging the bullets undersized in the brass.