Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

I wear my sunglasses at night...

asu174

Wednesday's subgun match was the first time I have ever not turned in a scorcard.

Arizona. I usually shoot the "night" matches around 5PM when it is still light out- and generally not in the winter. I was running late and as I was pulling in at 5:30PM, I realized I only had my sunglasses for eye protection. I figured that the stages were pretty well lit, so I might do okay.

I start with MP5 mags coupled. Buzzer goes off, I fire two shots. "Click" on the third. Rack it. "Click" Rack it again, "click". Pull the mag and realize I never topped off one of the mags from my last match here about 3 months earlier. Couldn't tell based on weight since it was a double mag setup and I hadn't handled it in so long. Switch mags, move on.

Final stage of the evening. There is a fault line spray painted in the dirt, which has been well trampled by this time. I can BARELY see it with the sunglasses on. Start the stage. Have a stuck round in the chamber, but don't realize this until about 4 unsuccessful "rack" attempts of live rounds into the back of the stuck round. Fix the malfunction, but I am already about 3 feet past the fault line. I back up, knock down the steel and move to the Texas stars. The unpainted steel Texas stars are impossible to see. I dump a couple of mags at them and call it a night. I think my time was around 160 or so on a 30-40 second stage.

The stuck round was a .380 case loaded with a 9mm round that somehow cleared my case gauge. I would have caught it while I was loading it in my mags HAD I BEEN ABLE TO SEE WHAT I WAS DOING.

Lesson learned: keep clear glasses in the range bag.

Edited by asu174

I got caught with my sunglasses only one night while I was shooting a new pistol I acquired. Can't imagine that happening in a competition! Well done for sticking with it though!! Now I try to keep my interchangeable shooting glasses in whatever rig I'm driving!