Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

FROM EXTRUDED POWDER TO POWDER FLAKES

Jasonub

The cost of VV N320 here is going up and up. My question is i am seriously considering changing powder to ADI AP70.

This powder looks like flat saucers ala bullseye. While the N320 looks like solid tubes.

I use a dillon 550 and heard that powder in the form of flakes will not dispense properly on an original 550 powder measure bar. Some people buy the aredondo plastic powder measure to help eliminate the inconsistent dispensing. Is this true or just to destroy other powder makers market?

powder measure link

My question is, has anybody had experience using this kind of powder? I think vectan is also in flake form. Could you please give some advice? I hate to have a batch of 40 cal rounds that have loads of 4.7-5.2 grains when i only want 4.9. VV320 has always been ok using my original powder measure. While i still want VV, prices are skyrocketing!

Thanks guys :)

Jason, i have used AP70. Although it is not as consistent as N320, the variation is not that much, around +/- 0.1 grain.

AP70 is nearer to N340 with respect to burning rate. From my experience, the felt recoil is stronger than using N320. That's why i'm stocking up on N320. :) If you want to use ADI, look for the AP50. According to powder equivalent tables, AP50 burning rate is similar to N320.

thanks. where did you get the burn ratings? Also any other powder here in the Phils that i may use instead of n320? I burn 300 rounds per week as practice ammo and 1 pound will last only a month or less

I've got soft copies of reloading guides from Vihtavuori and ADI. I can email them to you if you want.

True Weight sells Vectan powders. I think same price as Vihtavuori powders. I haven't seen any other powder brand. It would be great if we can try out Titegroup as well.

thanks do email it to me. I asked 2 people here about AP 70 and they have problems in inconsistent dispensing. Will buying the areddondo powder measure bar work to solve this problem?

Ogiebb,

do you know if Vectan powder is in flake form or is it tubular or ball form?

jason,

i think i had some guy load me some of vectan or"noblesport"...it was pretty good and fast too..here are some info

Vectan Handgun Powders – Handgun powders are generally fine grained and have "fast" burning rates. Except for Ba 10 and Ba 9 powders, specifically designed for handgun cartridges, most shotgun powders are quite useful in handgun cartridges. Several Vectan powder types are available for handgun handloading: A, in flake, D (disc-shaped grains) and Sp 3, a ball powder that gives excellent results in magnum handgun cartridges with heavy bullets

here are some burn rates... :lol::D

Fastest

(BRACKET 1)

Ba 10

As

A1

Ba9

Ao

Sp8

Sp3

Ba6

Tu 2000

Tu 2000

Sp10

Sp9

Sp7

Tu 5000

Tu 7000

Tu 8000

(BRACKET 2)

Single base

Single base

Single base

Single base

Single base

Double base

Double base

Single base

Single base

Single base

Double base

Double base

Double base

Single base

Single base

Single base

(BRACKET 3)

Small sticks

Flake

Flake

Small sticks

Flake

Ball (flattened)

Ball

Small sticks

Monotubular

Monotubular

Ball (flattened)

Ball

Ball (flattened)

Monotubular

Monotubular

Monotubular

Sorry i don't know if the arredondo powder measure would work for the AP70. I think the arredondo powder measure was to solve the leakage problem encountered when using Vectan SP2.

The ADI file is 2.8MB and the Viht file is 400KB. Let me know your email address so i can send them to you.

i just e mailed a fellow shooter over in Manila he told me sometimes strong hand or true weight( i think )sells some titegroup .try them out .they are cheaper than Vv powders.i used to be a hardcore Vihta user but its very temperature sensitive . we asked Frank (garcia) about his current loads and which pwder to use we tried titegroup and its all we ever use now..plus $98 for 8pounds aint bad..aint bad at all ;) (well at least over here)...happy loading guys