Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

165 fmj major or minor

BBoyle

I tried searching but I did not really find anything.

I have 165 gr fmj precision deltas and was wondering what safe starting loads would be for minor (glock 35) and major (edge). The powders I have available are VV N320 and tight group.

Would it be about 2-3 tenths more than what the loads are for 180 grain FMJs?

Thank You

Brian

It depends on what OAL you're loading to. Why not just use published 165gr FMJ data from both VV and Hodgdon? If you're loading long for the Edge, you'll simply need a couple of tenths more to get to the target velocity...you'll just be a little bit extra safe on your starting loads. R,

I like N320 because it's soft, clean, very consistent, and not temperature sensitive. I've shot both 180s and 165s in the same match, and in practice, and I cannot tell a difference. The 165s are not as snappy as you might think. But they are definitely cheaper. ;) You almost have to try it yourself to find out. But keep in mind Titegroup is actually a FASTER burning powder than N320, so beware.

I load 5.7gr of N320 with Montana Gold 165 fmj's, and 5.2gr of N320 for the Montana Gold 180's. I don't load long even though I shoot an Edge.

Edited by Chris Keen

Thanks Chris

I was hoping you would chime in because I knew that you shot 165 but you have too many posts for me to even think about going through. I would like to keep the loads in the 1.17 and 1.135 ballpark for the edge and the 35. My edge has no problem with my current 1.135 minor loads with the 180s. Are there a lot more signs of pressure when dealing with the factory length major loads? As long as my gun will function reliable I really do not care how long they are.

IThe 165s are not as snappy as you might think. But they are definitely cheaper. ;) You almost have to try it yourself to find out.

Ok, if we are going to use cheap bullets we might as well use the cheap powder. In 40 I've shot 135, 165, 180, 185, 200, and 220 and my favorite is the 185. I use WST for Limited Major w/180-185, TG w/200-220, and IMR7625 w135/165.

Are there a lot more signs of pressure when dealing with the factory length major loads?

Pressure signs don't change with OAL but the amount of powder it takes to get to those pressure signs will be different from longer ammo. If you're loading at factory length, then published data should work fine. It's just that when you load long, it takes more powder to get to the same velocity and pressure as it would at factory OAL, so it won't match up with published data. R,

IThe 165s are not as snappy as you might think. But they are definitely cheaper. ;) You almost have to try it yourself to find out.

Ok, if we are going to use cheap bullets we might as well use the cheap powder. In 40 I've shot 135, 165, 180, 185, 200, and 220 and my favorite is the 185. I use WST for Limited Major w/180-185, TG w/200-220, and IMR7625 w135/165.

When considering the cost of components, the powder is 1/5th the cost of the bullet. Why not pony up another $0.01 per bullet for something that is clean, cool, and consistent?

Edited by Chris Keen

I have used VV N320 since 1996 for the majority of my 45 and 9mm loads. I have no problem paying a little extra for it. I did pick up 2 pounds of tite group just to try out and see how it works since there seems to be a lot of fans of that powder as well. It is also nice to have another powder to fall back on when the 320 is scarce.

Chris what oal are you using? I will start 10% below and work my way up. 40 is new to me. I can't believe it took me so long to buy a 40 and I got 2 in the last few months.

Like I said I load alot shorter than most people do, but it works for me. I load to 1.155 OAL with Montana Gold FMJs.

I know a longer oal would mean less pressure, and possibly better feeding, but I have yet to have any feeding problems to speak of. Maybe I just have really, really good mags! :rolleyes: (Thanks to Bobby!)

I know a longer oal would mean less pressure, and possibly better feeding, but I have yet to have any feeding problems to speak of.

Better feeding maybe, less pressure...probably not (enough to worry about at least). You're simply using less powder to get to the same ballpark pressure as you would be if you loaded long. Some folks have suggested that based on Quickload data, that's not entirely true, but so far it's always been an apples to oranges comparison I've seen documented. R,

I'd load for the Glock (cause you want to), the STI will eat just about anything. I was loading at 1.135 for a CZ TS and those ran 100% in my Edge with un-tuned mags. I prefer the Dawson Followers, they have been the best in 40, the STI's were about 95% way bad. Once you have the load set up for the Glock try it in the STI. Once you shoot the STI a while you will forget about the Glock.

Since your shooting a Glock get a Redding GRX so you can reload the brass without the bulge. Yes, the U-Die helps but the GRX cures the problem. I even use the GRX instead of my CasePro.

I already have a GRX die. I am using the Glock for the winter but I will use the edge come the spring. For now I am just having fun in the off season. No use having a toy in the closet that never gets used. :D

• 2 months later...

Chris was right on the money!!!!!!

I tested loads from 5.2 to 5.8 of VV n320 with a Precision Delta 165 grn FMJ. All loaded where Winchester brass loaded to 1.180 oal using CCI small pistol primers. 5.6 was an avg pf of 168 and 5.8 was an avg pf of 172. 5.7 grains of VV N320 seems like it will be perfect!!!

I also compared, back to back, against my 180 grn FMJ major loads and could not tell a difference. The recoil pulse felt the same for 2 and 6 round drills.

Anyone that is on the fence with 165s just try it. You will not regret it!

Thanks again Chris!

Brian

• 2 weeks later...