Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dawson Glock Mag Extensions

Graham Smith

The recent discussion of mag length vs capacity in another section got me to wondering about this issue as it pertains to Glock mag extensions.

I have Arredondo extensions on my Glock 35 mags because I often practice at an indoor range with concrete floors and I was concerned that the Dawson extensions would get beat up being repeatedly dropped on the concrete. However, that's not the issue.

The issue is actual mag capacity vs usable mag capacity. I know I can get 20 rounds in both the Dawson and Arredondo extensions. I also know that once that last round is in the Arredondo extension, there is so little play left in the mag that it is difficult to seat the mag and the slide will not cycle properly. The question is, does the same thing happen with the Dawson extensions?

Again, this is not a question of getting 20 rounds in the mags - that's not the problem. The question is, will the slide cycle properly after the mag is seated.

My Dawsons don't all take 20 rounds with ease. I often would only load them to 19 because of the reasons you mention. They are just so damn tight with 20+1 in the gun. I've never had a problem when I did use 20+1 but it seems like some mag/follower combos are better than others- so when I did, I did it with a mag that more easily handled 20. You can tweak the followers to help... I just never did.

I love my Dawsons b/c they all take 20 and seat on a closed slide. After getting mine I loaded them with 19 and/or 20 rounds (the max they would hold at the time) and left them loaded for several days then shot them. Then reloaded and left them loaded. I did this process until all held 20. Mind you, that last round is tight, but it fits. I should also mention that I followed the Dawson YouTube videos to the letter. Fitting the follower is very important, but it is also simple.

I had a thread about deciding between the two brands of extensions and my deciding factors were:

1. I could remove the Dawsons by hand. - No tool necessary.

2. A Texas company with wonderful support of the sport and super customer service.

3. A Texas company with wonderful support of the sport and super customer service.

4. A Texas company with wonderful support of the sport and super customer service.

5. A Texas company with wonderful support of the sport and super customer service. :devil:

Cheers,

Kyle

I love my Dawsons b/c they all take 20 and seat on a closed slide. After getting mine I loaded them with 19 and/or 20 rounds (the max they would hold at the time) and left them loaded for several days then shot them. Then reloaded and left them loaded. I did this process until all held 20. Mind you, that last round is tight, but it fits. I should also mention that I followed the Dawson YouTube videos to the letter. Fitting the follower is very important, but it is also simple.

The video seems to be intended to eliminate the problem of the follower snagging on the extension, which seems to happen when you get much beyond 15 rounds so I'm uncertain as to if that has any effect on the problem.

As to loading 20 and seating, I can load 20 with the Arredondo extensions and I can seat the mag but it takes some force. Then when you rack the slide, there is a noticeable resistance. So much so that if you have a 20 + 1 load and fire it, the gun will likely mis-feed and you end up with an empty in the chamber with the slide half back.

I'm starting to think that this is similar to issues with the magwells - there are so many small variations in the different guns and the slip-streamed variations in magazines that just because it works for one person does not mean it will work for another. I may just have to buy a couple extensions and try them for myself, but I hate to do that unless there is at least a 50/50 chance of it working. I suppose if they don't work, there's always going to be someone who will buy them.

The video seems to be intended to eliminate the problem of the follower snagging on the extension, which seems to happen when you get much beyond 15 rounds so I'm uncertain as to if that has any effect on the problem.

As to loading 20 and seating, I can load 20 with the Arredondo extensions and I can seat the mag but it takes some force. Then when you rack the slide, there is a noticeable resistance. So much so that if you have a 20 + 1 load and fire it, the gun will likely mis-feed and you end up with an empty in the chamber with the slide half back.

I'm starting to think that this is similar to issues with the magwells - there are so many small variations in the different guns and the slip-streamed variations in magazines that just because it works for one person does not mean it will work for another. I may just have to buy a couple extensions and try them for myself, but I hate to do that unless there is at least a 50/50 chance of it working. I suppose if they don't work, there's always going to be someone who will buy them.

Give them a run. Buy one and if you don't like it I will buy it from you if someone does not beat me to it.

Cheers,

Kyle