Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

1903A4 Verification

I have a 1903A3/A4 that was part of a family collection that I inherited. Based on what I have been able to find, it is in fact an authentic A4 Sniper Rifle, missing only the Weaver 330 scope. But, I would like to have it professionally authenticated. Does anyone know if where I might can find a reputable and knowledgeable service?

Thanks

What a treasure. Is there a story behind it? Ask this question on the CMP forum, and throw in a picture or two ('cause they will demand it...or blood), and you'll get your answer.

ETA Come to think of it, I want a picture, damn it!

Edited by RAZZ

Story behind it.... well a short one.

When my great uncle was reaching the end of his life, he knew my Dad and I were into recreational and competitive shooting. So one weekend when we were next door visiting my grandmother he calls Dad and I over. Scattered all across his living room are firearms, most of which have been wrapped in newspaper and stored in the attic for most of the last three decades. He makes us an offer, sell the majority for him and the rest we can have. Also, he presents boxes of antique reloading material to me. So out of the deal I get a 1912 Model 92 Winchester Rifle, a Colt Lightning Rifle (first model), a Merwin-Hulbert 44-40 pistol, two late 1800s pocket pistols, a Marlin Model 1897 Shotgun, the 1903A4 without a scope, and a 1909 Calvary Carbine,

The 1903A4 is currently locked in Dad's safe, so I will take pictures over Christmas. Dad wants to verify that the rifle is indeed a 1903A4 so he can sell it for its value rather than the offers he has gotten lately.

Wow. Sorry for your loss, but what a family treasure.

OK, don't hold me to this, but my foggy memory seems to recall one thing about 03-A4s that really can't be faked. The scope mount covers up the serial number or nomenclature scroll on the receiver on a standard, non-sniper 03. If it was built originally as an 03-A4 sniper rifle, the serial number was stamped in a different (not re-stamped) place on the receiver so that it is visible with the scope mount on the rifle..

Edited by RAZZ

I have a 1903A3/A4 that was part of a family collection that I inherited. Based on what I have been able to find, it is in fact an authentic A4 Sniper Rifle, missing only the Weaver 330 scope. But, I would like to have it professionally authenticated. Does anyone know if where I might can find a reputable and knowledgeable service?

Thanks

The serial number/markings are upside down on the left hand side. Venturino did an article on them a few months back:

http://fmgpublications.ipaperus.com/FMGPublications/GUNS/GUNS0410/?Page=56