Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Converting 1911

STIGUY

Received a NIB Remington R1 as an early Christmas gift as a "going away" gift. How much time and effort would it take (can it be done) to convert this .45 to .40? New top end....etc. Do not know much about the inner workings, but I was going to use an STI slide (of course) and a Kart barrel. If this works, do I need a C/P or W/N type barrel?

How can I tell?

THANKS

How much time and effort would it take (can it be done) to convert this .45 to .40?

Yes it can be done, but will you do the work yourself or hire a gunsmith to do the work? Do you already have some of the parts or will you buy new stock?

New top end....etc. Do not know much about the inner workings, but I was going to use an STI slide (of course) and a Kart barrel.

Parts needed (assumes you will not want to strip down the old slide). Go ahead and use the recoil spring assembly since it is easy to switch out.

Slide

Sights

Barrel

Barrel Bushing

Barrel Link and Pin

Firing Pin

Firing Pin Spring

Firing Pin Stop

Extractor

New Ejector and Pin

40 cal Magazines.

If this works, do I need a C/P or W/N type barrel?

Depends on the type of cut on the frame (or is it cut at all?).

How can I tell?

In the attached picture, the Clark/Para cut is the top frame and the Wilson/Nowlin cut is the bottom frame. If your frame does not have either cut, it is a standard un-ramped frame.

Unless there is a really important reason to stick with just one frame, you will be ahead buying a new 40 cal 1911 and either keeping the Remington or selling it to offset the cost of the new gun.

JMHO.

Bill

post-7462-095005300 1291746438_thumb.jpg