Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

fouling with tite group

jo w

I'll preface this by stating that I'm fairly new to reloading and shooting,maybe 2 years into it. Have a SDB and started loading for .45 this year after loading for .38 for the year before.

I'm shooting a 625-6 W 5" barrel.

So the problem I have is fairly new. I use Tite Group powder, always have and for no reason than that's what was recommended when I started reloading. . Recently I have had much more dirt and fouling while shooting, so much so that I have to clean the gun every other stage or my moon clips won't slide in and/or eject easily.. I've had fouling under the star ejector and in the chambers. I use 230gn Rainier round nose, starline brass and federal primers. Because I use plated bullets at this time I load on the light end, e.g 10 % down from low end data. So I load @ 4.1 gn tite group.

The soiling and fouling did not occur to this degree when I was using 200 gn Rainer RN and tite group.

It's not unburnt powder.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks- JW

I agree with Merlin on the crimp. Although I load light, 2.2 grains under 125gr and 162 grain .38 specials, Federal primers. Those loads are fired through 3 shooters guns, a Smith 66, 2 Ruger Vaqueros, and a Smith model 10. Yes some blackening but I never clean the guns. About 2000 rounds fired this year. Tite Group shines as a light load. Hope this helps.

I think your Titegroup charges may be a little light. In my experience, low to mid pressure Titegroup loads create residue around the cylinder and muzzle in .38 spl and .45 acp revolvers. However, I've never seen must debris or unburned powder from Titegroup, especially with plated or jacketed bullets.

According to Hodgdon's 2010 Annual Manual, the loads for Titegroup with a 230gr lead RN range 4.0 to 4.8 gr. The loads for a 230gr Hornady FMJ FP range from 4.4 to 4.8. I'd try 4.4 gr with your heavy Rainer bullets and see if you get a cleaner burn.

Although Titegroup smokes like mad with lead bullets, I've had good results using it with plated bullets in .38 spl and 9mm. I'll try it soon with some 185gr Berry Hollow Base RN in my 625.

Chris

• 2 weeks later...

I agree that you're loading a bit too light to get a good burn on the powder. I typically load 4.5 gr of Titegroup with a 230 gr FMJ bullet. Powder fouling has never been a problem.

Can't say much about the 230 FMJ, but 5.0 grns. w/ a 200 gr. Powerbond PRN shoots clean and accurate out of my Les Baer.

Never noticed a smoke/dirt problem w/ Titegroup.