Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Looking for a flat shooting Limited load for a 6"

latech15

I tried several different loads today. Here are the results:

Titegroup - 3.9gr - 1.176 OAL - - This load was nice and soft but slow. Follow up shots were slow and difficult. Definitely a minor load.

Titegroup - 4.5 gr - 1.176 OAL - This load was heavier with more snap, but splits were still suffering.

VV N340 4.6 gr - 1.176 OAL - This was a really good feeling load. Soft and moving in the right direction but still not flat enough for me.

Bullseye 4.6 gr - 1.176 OAL - This was the snappiest of all the loads, but just waht I was looking for as far as flatness. Quick splits and easy to track the front sight.

I didn't have a chrono, so that is the next step in this process. I do want to try N320 and 231 before I conclude my testing, but I am fairly happy with the bullseye load for now. If it tracks like the bullseye, but is smooth as the n340, that will be the way that I go.

All of these loads were under 180 grain bayou bullets. I also want to try MG 165's since it seems that is the most common. Experimenting with the springs will be the next phase of the testing.

Edited by latech15

You won't find anything better than N320...it's not cheap, but it's worth it.

The other thing is, it's really not much use trying to compare if you haven't run them over the chrono...you want them at least in the same ballpark before you try deciding which is best. R,

I tried several different loads today. Here are the results:

Titegroup - 3.9gr - 1.176 OAL - - This load was nice and soft but slow. Follow up shots were slow and difficult. Definitely a minor load.

Titegroup - 4.5 gr - 1.176 OAL - This load was heavier with more snap, but splits were still suffering.

VV N340 4.6 gr - 1.176 OAL - This was a really good feeling load. Soft and moving in the right direction but still not flat enough for me.

Bullseye 4.6 gr - 1.176 OAL - This was the snappiest of all the loads, but just waht I was looking for as far as flatness. Quick splits and easy to track the front sight.

I didn't have a chrono, so that is the next step in this process. I do want to try N320 and 231 before I conclude my testing, but I am fairly happy with the bullseye load for now. If it tracks like the bullseye, but is smooth as the n340, that will be the way that I go.

All of these loads were under 180 grain bayou bullets. I also want to try MG 165's since it seems that is the most common. Experimenting with the springs will be the next phase of the testing.

Testing without a crono isn't telling you much, its easy to like a 140 pf load versus a 200 pf load. The first TiteGroup load listed was just barley over minor.

Before you crono take 10 of those BayouBullets and weigh them and take the average as the weight. The ones I got from Donnie varied a bit in weight. I like how clean they are but I have not done accuracy testing with them and you need to do that before you decided on a load, it don't matter how fast you miss. Loads and powders will also change the accuracty, how much? That is why we test.

While I did mention TiteGroup early on that is not my favorite load, I prefer WST with 185gr Precision Moly in a 5" gun, and at that a full Bertha weight Edge, you might want to throw it on you list. N320 with a 180gr jacketed can duplicate the feel of the WST and 185gr bullet at the same power factor. Jimmy Mitchell (BulletWorks) and TX State Limited (match director) shoots 155gr in his 6" (he builds them) and he shoots them well, plus his wife makes the bullets. Since you like it snappy the ligher bullet is probably where you need to be to make that thing feel like a pp. (plastic pistol).