Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Heavy Metal rifle

Kev8287

I had a RRA .308 w/ 16" barrel. I fired a few mags through it and quickly picked back up my M1A and sent the RRA packing. The bolt carrier must weight 2 lbs and feels like it when it cycles. I didn't see that it offered any benefits over the M1A.

If you are set on an AR pattern .308, I would go with a 20" to maximize sight radius.

If you are not set on an AR, I would recommend a M1A!

Edited by Bryan 45

It has touched the four footed kind plenty on the Dark Continent. The FAL is a, well , superb rifle.

It is a fine rifle, but not idea for 3 gun. The only FAL I have experience with is my DSA SA58 w/ 18" barrel. I really like the ergonomics, but the sights and trigger leave much to be desired. Reliability is great, as it is with the M1A. Mag changes, in my opinion, are easier with the M1A. The FAL seems pickier about the angle with which it is inserted. The AR is the only Heavy platform that can match a finely tuned M1A trigger, but in my experience reliability with the AR is not as good as the M1A.

If your a masochist, check out the HK G3. Bad trigger, bad controls, bad sights, hard recoil, but reliable! :)

And before Kelly Neil jumps in with his wins behind the FAL, he could do just as well against most of us using a Lee Enfield No. 4.

Edited by Bryan 45

Well, I have been quite pleased with my 20" LAR8. With a good brake and an ACOG I run it in TAC against the 5.56 crowd and still manage to hold my own. It is also a tack driver and handles steel to 500 quite easily. If I had the $$ I would love the Larue OBR, but for 1/3 the price I am well pleased. My poor FAL has not been to a match since I got 'er.