Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Am I Improving?

dagger10k

Last time I posted videos here, I was given some good advice, including:

1) I need to get lower when shooting. I tend to stand up pretty straight, which does not do much for my transitions or movement.

2) I need to stop breaking my grip every time I move. In the past I would always break my hands apart every time I moved, even if it was just a couple of steps, and it's losing me time.

There were other things, but these are the main things I've been trying to improve.

Here are some clips from the first match where I really feel like I've improved on these things.

Stage 1: Cash and Carry

I decided to throw 3 shots at the popper, figuring that I would save time by not having to aim as carefully, but I don't really think it worked out as well. What do you think?

Stage 2

My problem on this stage was insufficient walk-through. It was cold and rainy, and I really wanted to stand under the awning. That's why I over-ran the second port, and went for my mag pouch, like I was going to reload. It looks like my Limited10 instincts are coming back a bit?

Stage 3

This was my worst stage of the day. I had tons of misses on the steel through the second port, and I don't know why. I remember seeing the sight lift off the steel, but it just wouldn't go down. In any case, I was doing something wrong, but I don't know what exactly. It didn't feel like I was rushing, but I had 5 misses, which is pretty miserable. I also grabbed for my mag pouch like I was going to reload again. That's certainly a waste of time, and I'm going to have to work on getting rid of that instinct. The last position was a bit awkward because of my height and my bad right knee, but I think I managed alright.

Stage 4

I was really in crazy hosing mode on this one. I even had some D's (called) on the paper, but I was in such a hurry to finish that I let them be. I know that's not the way to win, but it was FUN. :goof:

Stage 5

This stage was far from perfect, but I feel like I kept my momentum going pretty well, despite the over-running the third position (not a problem with insufficient walk-through; I kept doing that IN the walk-through, and burned it into my actual stage plan I guess. Oh well), and the misses on the star.

I actually found myself shooting blindly at the star, and was able to finish the star looking through my sights with a target focus. I'm not really sure why that happened...

So what do you guys think? What do I need to work on?

Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

Greetings,

I'm returning to the sport after a long hiatus and I hope to be seeing you at Richmond in the near future.

If you're asking about your two points, I'd say that you were successful in accomplishing these if these were your objectives based on what I saw in the footage.

While it can be difficult to see everything because of vision barriers (both human and stage props), I could not see that you broke our grip unnecessarily while moving between close points of fire.

I'm a little guy so I'm naturally close to the ground yet unless forced to by the COF, I tend to stand relatively straight up when engaging targets. I think that one may have a reletively erect posture but if the knees are comfortably flexed (as opposed to locked - not that yours were) that one can begin the tranistions/movements quickly. The reason I like to be reletively erect is I feel feel less tension in my neck and shoulders.

Please keep in mind that I haven't been shooting in over 10 years so all of this could be considered hogwash.

Maybe the question to ask (that you've probably already answered) is did you shoot all of the points that you wanted on these stages (except stage 3 - with 5 mikes, you know you didn't on this one)? You provided mini self critiques along with each segment so if nothing else, you know some things that would be good to practice.

I'll say one thing, the easy availability of having video for self analysis is one thing I wish I had 10+ years ago before I stopped shooting. It would have proven a valuable tool.

Thanks for the advice! Being back after 10 years of non-shooting is pretty exciting. Make sure to say hi if you see me at the range.

One thing I should clarify is that when I said I had 5 misses, those were misses on steel that I made up, not mikes.

Hope to see you at the range!

Greetings,

I'm returning to the sport after a long hiatus and I hope to be seeing you at Richmond in the near future.

If you're asking about your two points, I'd say that you were successful in accomplishing these if these were your objectives based on what I saw in the footage.

While it can be difficult to see everything because of vision barriers (both human and stage props), I could not see that you broke our grip unnecessarily while moving between close points of fire.

I'm a little guy so I'm naturally close to the ground yet unless forced to by the COF, I tend to stand relatively straight up when engaging targets. I think that one may have a reletively erect posture but if the knees are comfortably flexed (as opposed to locked - not that yours were) that one can begin the tranistions/movements quickly. The reason I like to be reletively erect is I feel feel less tension in my neck and shoulders.

Please keep in mind that I haven't been shooting in over 10 years so all of this could be considered hogwash.

Maybe the question to ask (that you've probably already answered) is did you shoot all of the points that you wanted on these stages (except stage 3 - with 5 mikes, you know you didn't on this one)? You provided mini self critiques along with each segment so if nothing else, you know some things that would be good to practice.

I'll say one thing, the easy availability of having video for self analysis is one thing I wish I had 10+ years ago before I stopped shooting. It would have proven a valuable tool.

• 3 months later...

Good job on the texas star! Thos are tougher than alot of people think. There was one at about 30yds 2 matches ago where I live and it KILLED me. Think I dumped a mag and a half at it (shooting single stack), lol. Sighted in my gun after that and when I met the star this past match, only missed the plates twice.

Edited by Erik S.