Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

problems loading 45 acp 230 semi wad cutter

Spray_N_Prey

Ok I am stumped on this one. I have 2 Dillon 650 presses and load for many calibers and also load on a single stage. I load for over 20 calibers and am stumped big time on this one.

I originally thought it was my match 1911 barrel that was too tight, but these things won't pass through the case guage either, they get hung up right at bottom of the case (headstamp end). I have pulled all of the dies out and re-adjusted them and still same thing. I am fully resizing and they drop in the barrel fine after that stage, it seems to happen after the bullet is inserted. what measurements do I need to check to post on here?

Thanks,

Shawn

How much of the shoulder of the SWC do you have exposed and what is the actual diameter of the bullet you are using? I assume it is cast (don't know of any jacketed 235 grain 45s).

One of a couple things:

#1--The shoulder of the SWC is actually hanging on the edge of the chamber/barrel interface (right where it headspaces. Shorten some up and see what you get.

#2--The long body of the SWC is getting into the tapered portion of the case, causing it to be slightly oversize (with the .452 diameter bullets.

We see this a lot when folks try to use our 150 SWC bullets in 9 mm.

If it is an overall diameter deal, they can be custom sized to .451.