Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Reclaimed Surplus Powder.

TBF

I have run across this stuff in ads for like $8.00 a pound thru suppliers.

It's tempting to the cheapskate in me.

Supposedly it's reclaimed military stuff , and each batch is tested . But, I still wonder about the quality.

Any experience ? Horror stories from the internet ?

Any good luck in 223 ?

Travis F.

Supposedly it's reclaimed military stuff , and each batch is tested . But, I still wonder about the quality.

My 2 cents, it's worth what you paid for it. :)

Each batch is tested....by who? The major manufacturers put a lot of care into their product, we can reasonably expect their product to be what they say it is, but this great unknown entity.... a mistake from this anonymous person could result in you destroying a firearm, or personal injury, or lose your eyesight.

So my personal opinion is: I wouldn't touch it with a 10 ft pole! :unsure:

I've used surplus AA#2, AA#5, WCC844, and WCC846 with good results. I have found that to make the surplus powders worthwhile you need to get several kegs at a time. Otherwise the shipping and HAZMAT raise the price so much it's just as cheap to buy powder by the pound from Sportman's Warehouse.

I got some surplus (pull-down?) 4895 and it's good stuff for the .30-06 Garand and .223 AR15. I've also used surplus Data Powder 2200, which was a real bargain and worked fine for .223.

The most important thing to know is that it is not cannister-grade (commercial, dealer-shelf type) powder. It may or may not be the same or similar to a cannister-grade powder. If you're lucky the supplier will have some load data or some clues as to the nearest equivalent powder.

Great links. One question on Jeff's surplus powder. I suspect the 30m1 ball ammo used to pull the powder from is old WW2 ammo? I didn't think the US still would mfg carbine ammo. The reason I ask is, this would make this old powder, ie not as stable as newer stlye powder.

My dad used to get H4895 from Hodgedon I believe when they used to sell surplus powder, and it lasted a long time. I am not so keen on this old podwer for my pistol though. Anyone have any information on the age of this powder? The AA7 equivalent looks tempting for my 9mm.

Allen