Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Another Super Swage 600 Mod

I added the string/rubber band mod earlier this year and it works great but it does require some adjustments as the string and rubber band stretch. I was bored this afternoon and decided to swage some 223 brass and thought there must be a more durable solution after the rubber band broke. Here are some photos of what I came up with.

post-2477-052569300 1288251349_thumb.jpg post-2477-000731800 1288251339_thumb.jpg

I replaced the string with 1/16” galvanized cable and the rubber band with a 6” extension spring. I was thinking of using brake cable used for bikes but it was smaller than 1/16” and the smallest ferrule I could find is 1/16”.

I started by tapping 2 6-32 holes on the handle that flicks the cases. Those hold the 1.5”x1/4”x3/4” bar that serves as an extension to keep the spring from hitting anything. I milled a high and low notch at the end of the bar to hold the spring because I wasn’t sure which pivot point would work better – the high one worked better for my setup. On the other end, the spring hooked on nicely to the C-clip retainer. The bolts were all I had laying around and need to be cut down.

I don’t like looping both ends. I originally planned on having the loop go over the long bolt on the handle but the cable was too short. Luckily, it works fine clamped between the handle and the bar. A better alternative is not to loop that end and clamp down the cable with either another bar or washers. That will make that end easily adjustable.

It is mounted on plywood with a grove cut out so the cable can slide under the unit.

I’ll have to keep an eye out for wear where the cable rubs. I’ve already ran around 1k through it without any problems.

Now, replace the spring with a cam and rod so that when you pull the lever, it lowers the rod and when you raise it it raises the rod.

Then change the rod so that it goes all the way back and drops the case off into a bin.

Then add a case feeder to drop a new case into place as the rod comes up.

Then put a motor on the whole thing so that it runs automatically.

NOW you've got yourself a Super Duper Auto Swage Model 6000!

-----------------------------

Humor aside, you've got me wondering if the Super Swag can be mounted vertically...

Edited by Graham Smith