Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Remington .308 SPS

STIGUY

Purchasing a REM 700 .308 as a second gun for big game hunting (deer/hogs) as I don't like to loan my primary gun out...a Stainless Synthetic Rem. 700 in 300 SAUM. This gun will be used by my dad and nephew. I had them try my AR, but the 16" barrel and blast from Cooley comp doesn't suit anyone without hearing protection.

Q: I've seen this gun with. 24" gun, but should I get it cut back to say 20" to be more handy. Given that I plan on ultimately upgrading the barrel....would this be a good idea? Assuming it does not come with the Mark X trigger (not sure), what trigger mods could be done to the factory trigger or should I just spend the money for a better trigger. Don't think u want to get a Jewell, but are there cheaper brands that are of decent quality that may be an option?

Finally, as I mentioned, gun will be used by nephew (to introduce him to shooting heavier caliber guns and hunting). Is there any reasonably priced ALOP stocks that I may replace the factory synthetic with?

I've seen this gun with. 24" gun, but should I get it cut back to say 20" to be more handy. Given that I plan on ultimately upgrading the barrel....would this be a good idea? Assuming it does not come with the Mark X trigger (not sure), what trigger mods could be done to the factory trigger or should I just spend the money for a better trigger. Don't think u want to get a Jewell, but are there cheaper brands that are of decent quality that may be an option?

If you are going to do all that, you would probably be better off getting a custom rifle made to start with.

The SPS is basically an entry level hunting rifle. AFAIK, it is the only model with 24" .308 1 in 10 twist barrel all the rest have either a 20" or 26" 1 in 12 twist. I looked at this same rifle and decided that it would be best to just use it as is. If you want a shorter barrel, try the SPS Tactical, it's a better barrel and better stock. As to the trigger, all the 700's now come with the new trigger.

If what you want is a compact hunting rifle and you don't want to go with the SPS Tactical, then you might want to consider the Savage model 10. They have a 22" Predator model in .243 and a Precision Carbine in .308. The Precision Carbine has a very good fully bedded stock and a 20" barrel.

The Remington 700P LTR is arguably the best $900 rifle you can buy if you can find one at that price.

Edited by Graham Smith

The SPS Tactical has a 20" barrel 1/12 twist and runs about 550

The SPS Tactical AAC-SD has a 20" barrel 1/10 twist and comes threaded for about 550

The SPS LTR has a 20" fluted barrel and an HS Precision stock and is about 950.

As far as I know they all come with the XMARK Pro trigger these days. However you can install a Rifle Basix or Jewell for about 150 bucks.

I've yet to see reports of one not able to hold under an inch at 100 yards. I was shooting my SPS Tact at 500 last week and held 10 shots at 6 inches with a gusting 10-20mph wind.