Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Winchester auto comp

dauntedfuture

All,

I have not loaded all that much .40 here in the past, mostly 9 and .45. After the purchase of a STI in .40 i had to load and i have buckets of brass. I tried some mastercast 180's with clays to start as well as 231 with mixed results. The clays shot well and was soft, however there is lots of smoke with my reloads. I suspected that the red lube on the bullets was to blame or just the lead. I had some WAC around and tried loading some up. 6g with the 180 lead put me at 1100 fps and a little hot to say the least but the smoke was gone. Dropped down to 5.5g and velocity is at or around 1000 fps. I think that ill try 5.3 next time and take a little more off. Function is good and recoil is not harsh, not like clays but the smoke cloud is gone.

I have also had good results with 9mm, 125l in a glock at 1050 is soft as anything i have shot, dont recall the charge.

Meters well through a Hornady lock n load and the powder is cheaper than some others. Anyone else with comments. sorry if this was already done.

Jon