Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Steel advice on AR500 on a pole

my club just spent a lot of money having a baffle built over a back stop. There are 5 telephone poles holding the baffle up. They put 6"- 3/8 angle iron over the pole as a defectors .

Less than 3 weeks old and some idiot shot 1 of the angle iron 78 times with a 762. and pots the crap out of it and and a few went throw the angle and now we have to replace it.

We ask a Fabe shop about AR500 and they said it pot too. They said to go up to 1/2 cold roll angle.

I say go with AR500 and rap the pole. AR500 is 3 times the money but I fell we will do it 1 time and not a few times a year.

I know it would be nice to know who did it but its a private gun club and no one signed in or admits to doing it.

Thanks Brent

Less than 3 weeks old and some idiot shot 1 of the angle iron 78 times with a 762. and pots the crap out of it and and a few went throw the angle and now we have to replace it.

What an asshat.

Might do to put up a CCTV camera somewhere on a motion activation, AND get some AR500 steel.

Oh, wait, they'd probably shoot the freaking camera 78 times also.......sigh.

What an asshat.

Might do to put up a CCTV camera somewhere on a motion activation, AND get some AR500 steel.

Oh, wait, they'd probably shoot the freaking camera 78 times also.......sigh

We talked about putting a camera up. They shot it too !! The bad part it is a privet club. Pay dews, get a key. So there no one to watch over everyone. One person wrecks it for everyone.

Thanks Brent

My local club recently installed an electronic opening gate that opens with proximity cards along with a camera. Everytime the gate is activated the member's assigned card # is recorded along with video of their vehicle entering the range. Hopefully this will be enough of a deterrent to keep some idiot from getting the range shut down. We were having problems with the members giving out the gate combination to non-members.

Hope you can find out who the idiot was and send him the bill.

We ask a Fabe shop about AR500 and they said it pot too. They said to go up to 1/2 cold roll angle.

They don’t know what they are talking about 3/8” AR500 will stop up to 300 win mag fine. 6X6X½” Cold rolled angle is not something you are going to find anyway, not to mention cold rolled is not going to be more “bullet proof” than hot rolled. I assume you only need to protect the part of the pole that is facing up range, just put AR500 on that area and call it a day.

They don’t know what they are talking about 3/8” AR500 will stop up to 300 win mag fine. 6X6X½” Cold rolled angle is not something you are going to find anyway, not to mention cold rolled is not going to be more “bullet proof” than hot rolled. I assume you only need to protect the part of the pole that is facing up range, just put AR500 on that area and call it a day.

Thank you' Thats what I was looking for. That was my opinion too.

Brent

....just put AR500 on that area and call it a day.

I agree with this because its about as good as you can do. How well it holds up depends on the distance to the target and the ingenuity of your local idiots.

Inside about 100 yards, 223 will still gnaw the surface of AR500 even though the plate will shrug off 308 at the same distance. It'll hold up better than cold rolled.