Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Is a Knoxx stock only legal in Open?

Someone was telling me a shotgun with a Knoxx stock put sit in open in USPSA because the stock is designed to reduce recoil. Is this correct. Stock in question.

VangComped870.jpg

The reason I ask is a friend of mine has an 870 with a Knoxx stock. No ports nothing else. Can he shoot tactical and limited?

Pat

I'm afraid you are correct with regards to USPSA rules. The 2010 Multigun Addendum is silent on the issue but refers us to the Rifle, Shotgun and Pistol rulebooks for specifics. Appendix D4 in the 2009 Shotgun rules reads:

"External modifications that are specifically not allowed:

• Weights or devices to control or reduce recoil, except for recoil pads fitted

to the rear face of the stock of the shotgun"

I have a Winchester pumpgun with the Knox Stock. It's ok for most IMGA matches in Limeted, Tactical or HM. But for USPSA, I have to put the "stock" stock back on.

Suggest you lobby your AD for this to be revised. MG rule revisions are on the agenda for the November BOD meeting.

I have not kept up with the USPSA Multi-Gun Rules as most 3-Gun matches I shoot are "Out-Law" 3-Gun. Most of the "Out-Law" 3-Gun Rules do not say anything against it. It has been discussed a couple of times here in the forum and there were a lot of mixed feelings about its use. Until recently, I had been using a Mossberg 590 with a Knoxx Stock in the Heavy Metal Division. Rather than getting into a debate at the match, I made it a point to contact the Match Director of whatever match I was attending and asked specifically about the use of the Knoxx Stock in Heavy Metal. If they allowed it, I printed out their response and took it with me to the match incase an RO did not agree with it.

I've only been to a few big 3-Gun matches, but just to give you an idea on who says it’s allowed or not allowed:

Superstition Mountain Mystery 3-Gun: Allowed.

FN Midwest 3-Gun: NOT Allowed.

Ozark 3-Gun: Allowed.

DPMS Tri-Gun Challenge: Allowed.