Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shooting USPSA Matches

lenard

Our group is planning on shooting at the US nationals next year. What are things we need to work on? Friends who have competed in the US say targets are close together, lots of run and gun, lots of shooting boxes , high round count per stage. Are those observations still valid?

In relation to shooting in Canada the targets are farther, spread out more, and bigger swings. Expect swingers, movers, and drop turners, sometimes all on one stage. Less shootintg boxes now but you will likely see some.

Pat

There are a few differences I noticed between USPSA pistol nationals stages (I've been to the 99 and 00 Limited) and club stages or other big match stages.

They use a lot of partial targets, hardcovered black. They overlap a lot of no-shoots onto targets, but generally leave you the whole A zone.

They don't have steel arrays where you can just mow down a row in a steel garden. They have one or two steel mixed in here and there with paper. Mostly US Poppers and plates, not big Pepper Poppers.

There are a lot of walls with ports, basically shooting boxes on a different axis.

There is very little opportunity for shooting on the move.

They like to use drop-out targets, which become angled half-targets behind hardcover or no-shoots.

There are many stages where it's not a simple stand-and-draw start. Seated, gun on table, etc.

In 99 there were a lot of speed shoots, but less last year.

Thanks guys. Some of my friends who have competed in the US told me the courses are a little different from what we are used to. Our stage designs ( Philippines ) are like the  stages at World Shoot XII in Cebu.