Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Single stack - why .40 S&W?

Pro2AInPA

I have been going through the same issues..."why"?

There are SS type classes and special matches that you have to shoot a .45, and others that you can use the .40 but if shooting Major, you are still limited to the same round count.

I am thinking more and more that if it is strictly a "play" gun, go .45, but if you want a serious race gun, go .40. I have my Limited gun, which is .40, but I also have a Springfield Champion in .45. The Champion is a great little carry gun, but not really too great to go play with, plus I have always wanted a full size 1911. I had a Colt Model 70 Gold Cup, and like an idiot, ditched it for something else.

Anyway, when I go to a serious match, I am going to be shooting Limited, not Single Stack, but if it is more of a fun match, or a .45 only match, or a 1911 .45 bushing barrel only as JMB intended it type of match, then you have to go with the .45, right? How many .40 only 1911 single stack matches do you see? I just see more opportunity to play more games with the .45 than the .40.

But Dang, I have lots of .40 ammo around, pretty much all the time. Most of the .40s will not have a problem with factory ammo, but will my reloads really work in it? But, if I am going to buy ammo, why not buy .40 by the case? I mean it is less expensive than .45. I mean, it is ok to both buy .40 and reload .40 ammo, right?

I didn't answer a damned thing there, and am back to wondering which would be better for me again..

Edited by Wild Gene

a .45 only match, or a 1911 .45 bushing barrel only as JMB intended it type of match, then you have to go with the .45, right?

The only matches like that I can think of are IDPA when shooting CDP. What others are there? R,