Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Training My Duaghter?

AikidoGirl

I have been working with my daughter ( 9years old) for about 6 months and things are really starting to click for her. But I would like to get an idea of where I should start moving with her now that she has very good safety skills and gun handling skills. She has been shooting in our local matches since September and her first out of town match in December. (3rd place in .22 div steel shoot) I have had her shooting my limited 38 super steel gun but she gets a little tired and I have moved her back to the optic .22. I did notice that after shooting the 38 super for a month that she made a hugh leap with the .22! I have been doing 1 shot drill with her and having her target shoot at about 17 yards at a 6 and 8" plate. Also I had her doing bill drills for the first time last night. (She Liked that) 5.80 was her best time from low ready! Is this what I need to be doing or is there something else that would be better for her? She is also getting a new open today but does not no about it!!!!!! That will be the gun she shoots at the Ladysmith match in April. (Minor loads) Please give me some input!!!!!

Thanks Mark Self A-18138

AikidoGirls Driver and ammo reloader!!!!!

:rolleyes:

AikidoGirls Driver and ammo reloader!!!!!

sounds to me like you are doing everything correctly. i might suggest a 9mm for the next step. of course maybe one that fits her hand nicely. this could also be down loaded until she gets a little older.

lynn

I think the Steel Challenge type of matches are fantastic for newer shooter.

- No reloads to worry about (yet).

- Little movement.

- Minor Power Factor.

- Only five targets to consider.

- Immediate feedback from hitting steel.

- .22 pistol friendly (and all that goes with that...gun cost, funny factor, ammo cost, no recoil, etc.)

Mixing it up, as you've noticed, can be helpful. I shot most of last year's local Steel matches with my Glock35 and Major ammo (to keep my timing the same for my USPSA shooting). Toward the end of the season, I switched to shooting Minor. Tons better. Then, I reshot that same match with a buddy's .22 pistol with a C-more on top. Now THAT was fun (and fast)!!!

As far as training progression...I'd spend time on the things that are most fundamental...and try to keep it fun.

Lynn I got her an STI 38 super that I am going to load down to a steel load. it has very little recoil just a lot noise. Shea thinks thats cool!!! She said my limited steel gun felt fine!

The reason I am the driver and reloader is, here lately going out of town my wife has handed me my butt at the match. I am an A and she is a C but still kicking my butt. So she tells me to drive and let her shoot!! LOL :wacko: