Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Training - accuracy vs speed

benos

Birch posted an excellent question in the BEginner's Forum. So I brought it up here, in case some avoid BEginning... The original thread is here.

Birch asked:

"Just wondering when to start doing speedwork vs group shooting."

Response:

"Just wondering when to start doing speedwork vs group shooting."

If you don't separate the two, the answer is easier to see. The object of shooting is to hit the target. Now in IPSC shooting, the object becomes to hit the target as quickly as possible. That's where it gets tricky, and subsequently makes IPSC shooting one of the greatest (sporting) challenges on the planet.

First, we must decide "what is the target"? On steel, this decision is easy. On paper, usually my decision is the A box.

When practicing stages or competing, if you're the type that never (or seldom) misses your intended targets, you must learn the subtlety of what calling your shots really MEANS. Then you will NATURALLY speed up in accordance with your intention of hitting the A box (anywhere) as quickly as possible.

If you miss frequently, learn to read your gun (better) so you don't have "surprise misses."

Therein lies the power of READING EACH SHOT AT THE INSTANT THE GUN FIRES. (Sorry for yelling.  You won't shoot slower or more carefully than necessary. And you won't shoot quicker than you can hit the target. But to understand this you must start simply and from the beginning:

What MUST I do to be successful? And then, precisely, what am I actually doing? This will open the door of change. Remember - the object is to KNOW, at the instant the gun fires, if the shot hit the intended target ANYWHERE (on the intended scoring area). (That's the subtle part.) If you don't establish clear intent as to what your objective is, it's difficult to proceed - successfully.

be