Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Ransom Rest Queations

jbrown13

I've been thinking about the Ransom Rest and found what appears to be a PDF file of the factory instructions (http://pdf.textfiles.com/manuals/FIREARMS/ransom_pistol%20rest.pdf), which leave a lot to the imagination IMHO. The instructions suggest you fire approx. 20 shots to settle the handgun into the inserts before firing for test groups. From the pictures on the Ransom web site it looks like the grip inserts completely cover the grip of the 1911 shown, and I'm wondering how you would drop (looks like the mag release is covered) and replace the magazine, since none of my handguns hold enough rounds to fire 20 and then shoot groups. Can someone tell me how one goes about reloading a handgun while clamped in the Ransom Rest, or point me to some pictures or videos that demonstrate its use? Thanks.

I don't know of any videos out there? There may be some on youtube?

I have had my Ransom Rest for over 15 years and have quite a bit of expereince with it.

The ransom rest holds the gun squeezed in between two rubber faced aluminum plates. If the insert covers up the mag release they either provide access in fromt he front or through a hole drilled in through the side. I honestly can't remember whih way the inserts are for a single stack (haven't used them in a while) but I am pretty sure they are cut back away form the mag release button as the majority of the holding is going on lower on the frame. With the Glock inserts it covers up the mag release and I drilled a hole through the side and activate it with a plastic bic pen.

The rest holds the gun and allows the gun to rotate up in an arc around a piviot point like you would have when you fire a heavier recoiling pistol. to access the magwell of the gun while in the rest you just rotate it up and load/unload then rotate the gun abck down to its firing position. There is an adjustable stop on the rest that you reset the gun back to after every shot.

I don't usually settle the gun with that many shots but depending on what type it is will decide if I just settle with one mag or cylinder or more.

Neal in AZ

The instructions suggest you fire approx. 20 shots to settle the handgun into the inserts before firing for test groups.

I do believe the instructions speak of about 5 settling shots for common pistols such as a 1911.

The reference to 20 settling shots is for pistols that might give trouble - that is perhaps squirm around in the holder and as the instructions say settle deeper with more settling shots - these are mostly polymer like the Glock - harder to hold by compression and squeezing doesn't help or something like a Super 14 Contender in a powerful cartridge with all the weight and leverage of a long heavy barrel and lots of energy.

The suggested plywood base with three C-clamps holding it to a permanent bench at the range may be upped to 4 C-clamps or some more rigid arrangement with problem setups. Dean Grennell had a custom setup with a small bench just big enough for the rest and a big board on the bottom he could drive a wheel from his car on to hold it all down.

The only issue I'm aware of with a single stack is sometimes an ambi safety with an off side extension may not fit the holder well - then again a given pistol may do just fine.

It is certainly true that there is an art to getting best accuracy from a pistol in a Ransom Rest - I'm inclined to believe that relative results are fine for the same user as when testing relative accuracy of rimfire ammunition brands but it is certainly true that one of the greats in the 1911 field has his pistols shot from the rest by a friend - the better shot hand held gets bigger groups from the rest. For this and other reasons I'm not sure how much can be drawn from different range sessions and different shooters but there is no competition for the Ransom and for some purposes it's well worth the time and effort. A Ransom Rest and sky screend help a lot loading hot cartridges like the 9x23 and .460 Rowland in my experience - YMMV.

The ransom rest holds the gun squeezed in between two rubber faced aluminum plates. If the insert covers up the mag release they either provide access in fromt he front or through a hole drilled in through the side. I honestly can't remember whih way the inserts are for a single stack (haven't used them in a while) but I am pretty sure they are cut back away form the mag release button as the majority of the holding is going on lower on the frame. With the Glock inserts it covers up the mag release and I drilled a hole through the side and activate it with a plastic bic pen.

the 1911 inserts don't cover the mag release, so you can just reach in and depress the mag release to change magazines between strings of fire (as you mentioned, when the pistol is rotated up to allow clearance for magazine removal) . there is also a relief cutout for the thumb safety allowing it to be depressed.

also - just to be clear to the OP, when using the rest for a 1911, you have to remove the grips on the pistol and install the pistol frame into the rest - the ransom rest inserts for a 1911 have cutouts that will mate up perfectly with the pistol's grip screw pillars on either side of the frame.