Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

XDM 40 Production to Limited

Iggy42

You might want to contact Springer Precision about this for his take on some upgrades, but if you have been shooting Production so far, you probably have decent sights and a trigger job already. Magazine extensions come to mind of the 140mm variety, and they can be had from several sources including Springer and Pistol Gear. If you go with mag extensions, then a mag well is probably in order also. Again, these are available from multiple sources, including the ones I just mentioned. Others might want a tungsten guide rod to put more non reciprocating weight in the front of your gun, but some guys just add lead or tungsten shot to the hollow guide rod you have in your gun and plug it up with several types of sealant or melted lead. Grip stippling is a plus, and I have had that done to one of my guns instead of using skateboard tape, but that's up to you. If you're brave you can do it yourself with a pointy soldering iron and some patience, or just get a "grip tape" kit from the above sources or others online and apply it yourself. I'm sure I missed something, but others will chime in eventually and give you more ideas.

Edited by Justsomeguy

I have been shooting production with an XDM 40 for 1 1/2 years. I am planning on adding a magwell to go with my Canyon Creek extended basepads. I have used these pads on my mags in the past with much success. They run 100%. CC makes a glue on magwell, but Im not crazy about something that permament. Other than some decent sights, I run a Warren/Sevigney rear with a blacked out stock front, and a trigger job if you want one, you should be good to go.

Doing it on the cheap, 140mm mag extensions that hold 21 rounds and shoot it as is.

If your serious about shooting Ltd, trigger job, sights, extended release, tungsten guide rod(maximum weight benefit), a true magwell(not one that just slips on & off), grip treatment(grip tape or epoxied on grit), any or all will be a benefit.

Practice, practice, practice will be the biggest benefit.

Rich

This is my second year shooting limited, with a 40 caliber XDm. I use that money I would have spent on triggers, sights, etc for reloading components and range time. I doubt that my skills have yet to reach, or match, the capabilities of a straight-out-of-the-box Springfield. But then, perhaps that is just me.

The only "upgrade" I have done are the 20 round Pistol Gear mag extensions. I really like the "bolt-on" design of their extensions.

Dave

Thanks for the replies everyone.

Looks like I will be trying to build myself a limited gun of some kind (can't afford to just buy one straight out unfortunately)so you all have given me a lot to think about. I know I wanted at least a fiber optic front sight but the rest was up in the air. Naturally my bank account and how much I get for my 1911 determines a lot of my choices. Once I have a better idea of a budget I will have to post some more info since this will definitely be a work in progress.

Now while this makes me look like a newb (which I am) when y'all mention trigger job are we talking drop in components that I can do myself, or something I need to find a gunsmith to do?

Also, anyone know the best way to sell a handgun. My local FFL will trade it in, but I know I would get a better price to a private buyer

Edited by Iggy42

Looks like I will be trying to build myself a limited gun of some kind (can't afford to just buy one straight out unfortunately)so you all have given me a lot to think about. I know I wanted at least a fiber optic front sight but the rest was up in the air. Naturally my bank account and how much I get for my 1911 determines a lot of my choices. Once I have a better idea of a budget I will have to post some more info since this will definitely be a work in progress.

Now while this makes me look like a newb (which I am) when y'all mention trigger job are we talking drop in components that I can do myself, or something I need to find a gunsmith to do?

Also, anyone know the best way to sell a handgun. My local FFL will trade it in, but I know I would get a better price to a private buyer

If you are serious about sights and a trigger job it might be better to send the gun out to one of the professional gunsmiths that normally do that kind of work. You can do a pretty good job of installing a trigger kit yourself, and if that was all you were doing I would say get a kit for that. But if you are getting sights too then I recommend you send the gun out and get both done at the same time. WHY? Because you will find it difficult to change the sights yourself without a professional piece of equipment... meaning a hydraulic sight pusher with the proper tooling to use on YOUR sight preference. The chances of marring your finish and destroying not only the old sights, but the new ones is high without the proper equipment... especially on an XDm which have sights that are factory pressed in so tight they are nearly impossible to move without damage with common hand tools. So, if you have to send the gun out for sights, you will find that having the trigger done at the same time is nearly the same price as buying the trigger kit and putting it in yourself. Therefore it makes more sense to have the person who does the sights also do the trigger job, especially if it is someone who also offers the trigger kits... Like Springer Precision, Powder River Precision, or Canyon Creek. Of the three mentioned I have had kits from both Springer and Powder River, and have sent several guns to Springer with complete satisfaction and very quick turn around times. If you are thinking of buying any of the other parts like mag extensions, extended mag release, stainless or tungsten guide rods, stippled grip, etc... then I would talk to the person you are going to send the gun out to for the sights about his pricing on the rest of those things. It is probable that you cannot buy them cheaper from any other source anyway, and might as well get them all from the same person and maybe get a "package" deal. One of the main expenses of sending a gun out for work is the shipping itself. It must be shipped FedEx overnight and that is not cheap! However, Springer, for instance, gives discounts on shipping, and will send you an email so can simply print out the shipping label and send your gun to him if that is what you decide to do. You can ship directly to someone like Springer as they are a qualified FFL license holder, and then he can ship the gun directly back to you, since you already own it.

As to selling your old gun I cannot help you there except to say that there are several online resources for that. You cannot just sell a gun online and ship it directly to someone. It must be sent to an FFL dealer who then does the actual transfer and paperwork. I would like to hope you could keep your old gun for at some time in the future you might regret its sale, but I also know there are few rich persons amongst us, and so this might be necessary to carry on.

Good luck with your project and I hope you complete it and go on to win a National or something!

If you are serious about sights and a trigger job it might be better to send the gun out to one of the professional gunsmiths that normally do that kind of work. You can do a pretty good job of installing a trigger kit yourself, and if that was all you were doing I would say get a kit for that. But if you are getting sights too then I recommend you send the gun out and get both done at the same time. WHY? Because you will find it difficult to change the sights yourself without a professional piece of equipment... meaning a hydraulic sight pusher with the proper tooling to use on YOUR sight preference. The chances of marring your finish and destroying not only the old sights, but the new ones is high without the proper equipment... especially on an XDm which have sights that are factory pressed in so tight they are nearly impossible to move without damage with common hand tools. So, if you have to send the gun out for sights, you will find that having the trigger done at the same time is nearly the same price as buying the trigger kit and putting it in yourself. Therefore it makes more sense to have the person who does the sights also do the trigger job, especially if it is someone who also offers the trigger kits... Like Springer Precision, Powder River Precision, or Canyon Creek. Of the three mentioned I have had kits from both Springer and Powder River, and have sent several guns to Springer with complete satisfaction and very quick turn around times. If you are thinking of buying any of the other parts like mag extensions, extended mag release, stainless or tungsten guide rods, stippled grip, etc... then I would talk to the person you are going to send the gun out to for the sights about his pricing on the rest of those things. It is probable that you cannot buy them cheaper from any other source anyway, and might as well get them all from the same person and maybe get a "package" deal. One of the main expenses of sending a gun out for work is the shipping itself. It must be shipped FedEx overnight and that is not cheap! However, Springer, for instance, gives discounts on shipping, and will send you an email so can simply print out the shipping label and send your gun to him if that is what you decide to do. You can ship directly to someone like Springer as they are a qualified FFL license holder, and then he can ship the gun directly back to you, since you already own it.

As to selling your old gun I cannot help you there except to say that there are several online resources for that. You cannot just sell a gun online and ship it directly to someone. It must be sent to an FFL dealer who then does the actual transfer and paperwork. I would like to hope you could keep your old gun for at some time in the future you might regret its sale, but I also know there are few rich persons amongst us, and so this might be necessary to carry on.

Good luck with your project and I hope you complete it and go on to win a National or something!

Thanks for the info, I knew I would have to involve a FFL somehow in order to sell my 1911, just not sure how it all works. I really do not want to sell my 1911 and I would still like to compete with it (1911's are by far my prefered handgun. The polymers seem to me missing something to me) but these days I don't have 1500 sitting around I can drop on a custom build. I've got 500, but that isn't going to get me much, especially when I would also need a holster, mags, and a mag pouch.