Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Rookie Bullet Question

Econocoug

We are anxiously awaiting the arrival of our new Dillion XL650 that (hopefully) should arrive Friday. Brian Enos helped hook us up with everything we need including a loading manual. We need all the help we can get since neither of us have ever loaded before! We have components and load data, and are primed to get started.

So this is the question for the experts. After finding everything on our components list, we also bought some bullets that we don’t have load data for. Is it safe to use powder charges for bullets that are the exact same type and grain, but of a different brand? The bullets are .335 115GR FMJ-RN ENC Hornady #35557B 9mm. Hornady’s website doesn’t list this product, and I assume the “B” stands for “Bulk.”

Would it be safe to follow load data that called for another brand of 115GR FMJ? If not, where can we find a load for this bullet without buying the Hornady manual?

Thanks

Waiting In Washington

If you start with the starting load suggested by the manual/website, it should be safe as long as the bullet is the same type (lead, plated, jacketed) weight and shape (RN, TC, SWC and so on).

Approach any maximum load listed by steps, even if you're using all the very same components listed, and always verify your loads with a chrono.

the other thing would be the over all length (OAL). different type of bullets vary in length even though they are the same weight. get a dail caliper to be sure your bullets are the correct length for feeding and magazine reliability.

The bullets are .335 115GR FMJ-RN ENC Hornady #35557B 9mm.

i'm sure this is a typo .335 should be .355?

one more piece of advise. get a experience reloading person to get you set up. this will save you several headaches.

lynn

Yes; good info thus far. I do not want to over-simplify things but if you have a chance, look at the reloading manual published by Lee, Inc. "Modern Reloading". The data in this book ONLY distinguishes loads on 2 factors: weight (in grains) and either Jacketed or Lead. This is one end of the spectrum & certainly safe (otherwise Lee would be sued out of business in short order).

Other manuals give the impression that you have to, or at least should, use the exact bullet suggested - one which they will conveniently sell you at a high price. This is the other end of the spectrum. Your idea, of matching weight, and material, but also matching profile is a perfect compromise & a safe way to load; wise decision on your part. You should be able to avoid problems caused by different bearing surface area and different bullet lengths.

To see what the majority of USPSA shooters really use as far as bullet brands, take a look at the stats for the nationals.

It's been implied, but I'll say it explicitly:

Start with the starting load in the manual and work up in small increments (0.2gr is what I use for .45). If and when you switch bullets to the same type but a different brand, back off your load a tad (10% is enough), and work up again!

Reloading isn't hard, but the best two things I did to learn were: 1) finding an experienced reloader who would let me come over to his house and load under his supervision on his machine, and 2) reading a reloading manual (and the manual that came with my 550) thoroughly before starting.

Good luck,

DogmaDog

Good advice above.

Load small batches at first, starting with the starting loads ( or max minus 10% if only one load is given )

Do not load any rounds shorter than min. OAL, a little longer is OK as long as they fit the mag.

Slow is good when you are getting used to the machine.

Enjoy ! Be safe !

Travis F.

I realize the question was regarding pistol bullets, but with Hornady you definately want to start at the low end and work up.

Loading for my .308, Hornady bullets top out in pressure long before Nosler or Seirra. Loads that are safe for either Nosler or Sierra, will crater or pop primers with a Hornady top. I called Hornday about this and they confirmed that due to jacket material and bullet profile their bullets will max out at a charge 10% or more lower. I first discovered this using RL-15 and switching from a NBT 165 to a HVMAX 168.

Reduce jacketed bullet data at least 10% if you are using data for another company's bullet.

Thank you for all the good information and valuable tips. Sorry about the typo, I did mean .355, not .335! We know they really are .355 and 115GR since the Blue Scale and calipers came in the mail Thursday. :D

The bench is almost complete. We will post photos in the Gallery when everything is set up.

Thanks,

Measuring and Weighing in Washington