Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

free float on heavy barrel

Mattog22

I started shooting an AR-10 with a stainless heavy barrel for HM and am eventually going to put a free float tube on it. I am shooting in some matches in the very near future and may not have time to get the free float tube on it and re-zero before the matches so I'm wondering how much accuracy I may be missing not getting it done in time. My question is whether a heavy barrel is less effected by free floating than thinner profiled barrels since the barrel should be more rigid due to the thickness. Am I right on my line of thinking or am I just trying to make myself feel better? In it's current configuration I'm shooting just about the best I ever have with irons.

Edited by Mattog22

I say put the new tube on it and don't worry about rezeroing before the Ozark.

:ph34r:

Signed

Bryan

HM Shooter ;)

lol, I guess the increased accuracy from the tube would be so great that it would compensate for not rezeroing right?:roflol:

Here is what I have read about this (which might well be wrong)... A lighter barrel will be more subject to deflection, particularly if you are using a sling or a solid surface as a shooting support.

If you are zeroed from a bench rest, then you will probably see very little difference in the zero with a free float tube because there was very little if any deflection in the barrel when you zeroed it - all other things being equal. It's that last part that's the rub because whenever you change something you may change the zero a bit - particularly if you do something like remove and replace the barrel nut.

If you are shooting it well the way it is, then leave it that way for now and wait till things wind down to fiddle around with a different configuration.

Here is what I have read about this (which might well be wrong)... A lighter barrel will be more subject to deflection, particularly if you are using a sling or a solid surface as a shooting support.

If you are zeroed from a bench rest, then you will probably see very little difference in the zero with a free float tube because there was very little if any deflection in the barrel when you zeroed it - all other things being equal. It's that last part that's the rub because whenever you change something you may change the zero a bit - particularly if you do something like remove and replace the barrel nut.

If you are shooting it well the way it is, then leave it that way for now and wait till things wind down to fiddle around with a different configuration.

My main concern with the zero is from the gas block the front sight is clamped on. The picatanny gas block doesn't look like it's pinned so I doubt it will go back on without at least a little change in zero.

I do think you're right that I should probably just leave well enough alone right before a match.

Thanks

Matt

Untested (unzeroed) gear = trouble waiting to happen. Let it happen to someone else. :devil:

Curtis

I'm smart enough not to do that! But it is funny when you get to watch your friend have a total meltdown at a local match using untested gear. Friend of mine brought out a brand new SLP and took for granted it would just run, SURPRISE! doesn't like Winchester Value Pack ammo.:roflol: I still give him a hard time, nothing like a single shot shotgun.

Edited by Mattog22