Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Velosity question

goosedowner

I'm working up a 9mm load using Solo 1000 and 160gr bullets. I broke out my new Pro chrony and I was wondering if my results are common(This is my first chrony)?

I'm loading 3.1 of Solo with a OAL of 1.140 to 1.145 and I'm getting spread of 65fps.

Thanks for the help

I'm working up a 9mm load using Solo 1000 and 160gr bullets. I broke out my new Pro chrony and I was wondering if my results are common(This is my first chrony)?

I'm loading 3.1 of Solo with a OAL of 1.140 to 1.145 and I'm getting spread of 65fps.

Thanks for the help

65 FPS? I can throw faster than that!

Edit to add: Didin't see the "spread" part. I was thinking something was wrong with your chrono...

Edited by GrumpyOne

Thanks for the help

I'm guessing you're talking about the extreme spread (ES) from high to low? If so, 60fps is a little high, but not uncommon. Are you using mixed brass, or is it sorted by headstamp? If it's mixed, that's a large part of the variation you're seeing. Going off memory, about the best I've been able to get was an ES of something like 20fps using the same headstamp brass that was all once-fired. New brass is the most consistent, and each time it's used it gets less consistent (mostly in bullet pull/neck tension). The other thing is that Solo 1000 doesn't meter terribly well, so you're getting a bigger charge variation than you would with other choices. Add those things up and 65fps is reasonable.

You may know this, but there isn't much in the way of published data with Solo 1000 and heavy bullets, so you're operating pretty well off the charts. Scott listed 3.4gr with a 125 as max, so it's likely you're close to the limit, if not over it with a 160. It does appear that the newer data is more conservative, and maybe the formulation is a little different now, but it's something to keep in mind. What average velocity were you getting, and what kind of gun? R,

G-Man, Your right I was talking about ES. My high Vel was 855 and my low was 790 out of two 5 shot strings. I am using mixed brass with Win primers and shooting these through a CZ SP-01 shadow custom target.

Okay, that makes sense...I'd put that down to mixed brass and Solo 1K's tendency to meter somewhat irregularly. I've found the best result with something more like 20rd strings...run a couple of those, and you can be pretty confident with the average. Also, keep in mind that Solo 1K is reverse temperature sensitive. So, it's going to get faster as the temp drops, and vice-versa. It's always a good idea to note the approximate temp when you chrono loads, and keep track of that. I know quite a few folks who added .2gr before heading to Vegas for the Nationals last year, just because the temps were going to be higher than at home, and they were using Solo 1K. R,