Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Factory Sights on xd9 tactical seem weird

cali shot doc

I just got a Xd9 Tactical a couple months ago and today I really focussed on how the sights worked and it seemed that at 25 yds I definitely had to cover up what I wanted to hit, like a 12 o'clock . Even at 10 or 15 yds it was like a center hold if not 12 o'clock hold itself? Does it use 6 o'clock hold at all? I'm just wondering whats a good rule to shoot by with this gun and if thats typical for xd's

Thanks for any help,

CSD

• 1 month later...

I just got a Xd9 Tactical a couple months ago and today I really focussed on how the sights worked and it seemed that at 25 yds I definitely had to cover up what I wanted to hit, like a 12 o'clock . Even at 10 or 15 yds it was like a center hold if not 12 o'clock hold itself? Does it use 6 o'clock hold at all? I'm just wondering whats a good rule to shoot by with this gun and if thats typical for xd's

Thanks for any help,

CSD

You've probably figured this out by now, but with the factory sights on the XD you have to put the front white dot on top of (cover up) what ever you intend to hit, just like a red dot works. I know it can be annoying when aiming at small targets at long distances. For example, when shooting at 4 inch plates at about 20 or 25 yards the white dot just about completely covers the plate, but I've found that if I keep in mind that the plate is not going anywhere and I put all my focus on the front sight, I usually hit the plate. Actually, it's not just the white dot that covers the plate, now that I think back, the plate is also being covered by that smidgen of black on either side of the white dot. It goes without saying that the factory sights aren't intended or weren't designed for bullseye shooting, but for me they're good enough for practical shooting. One day I might experiment with a thinner front sight and with a smaller dot, but I have a feeling that the factory size dot is probably just right for my 44 year old uncorrected eyes.

Good luck and good shooting.

Chris

Gainesville, FL