Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

new to pistol loading 40 s&W

Mat Price

Hey guys this is the first time I am loading pistol. I load 100% rifle. I got a 3 die rcbs set and I want to load some 40 s&w. I am just a tad confused on the whole taper crimp thing can someone point me to a good link that explains how to do this step. Also with the carbide sizing die, drop the handle full extension and just barely kiss the shell holder with the die mouth right? dont cam over like on rifle sizing dies is this the way its done?

Mat

First, welcome to the forums!

Second, what press are you using? For instructions, we need to know what press and dies. (Duh, you told me what dies!)

The sizing die (in a Dillon) should kiss the shellplate with the handle all the way down.

For the taper crimp, measure the diameter of your bullet, then the thickness of the case wall mouth, double the thickness of the case wall mouth and add the diameter of the bullet, that is what your crimp on a 40 should be. It really isn't a crimp at all, but just removing the flair/bell put into the case in the powder drop station.

Edited by GrumpyOne

sorry grump I am using an rcbs rock chucker right now( single stage press, I only load F/class rifle shells right now).I am slowly getting into action pistol and Saving my pennies for a dillon 550B.

So basically I am just unflaring the expander step ?

also how can I tell if i got it right? cycle a round through my chamber?

Edited by Mat Price

sorry grump I am using an rcbs rock chucker right now( single stage press, I only load F/class rifle shells right now).I am slowly getting into action pistol and Saving my pennies for a dillon 550B.

Yes, you are just taking out the bell/flair in the expander step. Remember, auto pistol rounds headspace on the case mouth as there usually is no rim. So, if you crimp too much, the case will slide into the barrel past the headspace area and lock it up.

Use you calipers/micrometer to measure the crimp as close to the bullet as you can get...For a 40 S&W, I think it should be around .421 or so, but check on that. I usually don't even measure the crimp anymore, for me, it's more of a sight thing...look at it, see if it needs more or less. If more, then tighten the die down just a bit, if less, then loosen it. Start with it very loose, and slowly tighten it up, until all the flair/bell is removed, then lock it down. And then cycle a round through your chamber.

What are you gonna be shooting these in? Stock barrel?

BTW, I load on a 550.... :cheers:

Yes, you are just taking out the bell/flair in the expander step. Remember, auto pistol rounds headspace on the case mouth as there usually is no rim. So, if you crimp too much, the case will slide into the barrel past the headspace area and lock it up.

Use you calipers/micrometer to measure the crimp as close to the bullet as you can get...For a 40 S&W, I think it should be around .421 or so, but check on that. I usually don't even measure the crimp anymore, for me, it's more of a sight thing...look at it, see if it needs more or less. If more, then tighten the die down just a bit, if less, then loosen it. Start with it very loose, and slowly tighten it up, until all the flair/bell is removed, then lock it down. And then cycle a round through your chamber.

yep stock barrel on an xd 40 tac model. I am loading 9mm for my glock 17 for production class and using my xd in the limited 10 class

Thanks grump! I was sucessfull in producing a dummy round that was at the oal I wanted and chambered and ejected from my xd-40! soo I reckon its time to powder and and prime!

yep stock barrel on an xd 40 tac model. I am loading 9mm for my glock 17 for production class and using my xd in the limited 10 class

.420" is pretty much the magic number you want at the case mouth for .40S&W. BTW, Production and Limited and Divisions, not Classes. Guns are Divided into Divisions and shooters are Classified by shooting Classifiers. :)