Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Old Revolver

Loose Brass

I got an email from a friend this evening that included this picture. He thought since I was an avid shooter I might be able to identify this. It's been in his family for years. He does not want to sell it just wants to know what it is. Just guessing on my part I think it might be from a Belgian maker but this really isn't my area of expertise. Can anyone out there help? He is sending me more pics later if it helps.

Thanks

:unsure:

post-15605-095768200 1282964380_thumb.jp

Looks like this one > 6) Montenegrin Gasser. Marked on knoxform with cypher of Nicholas I of Montenegro. The huge 11mm Gasser/Montegrin cartridge had 6 variations(see Starr conversion on p.4). here >> http://home.earthlink.net/~frey2000/id2.html Scroll down to the third picture near the bottom of the page.

Here's the photo. It's the one of the far right isn't it?

post-6089-079443100 1282965517_thumb.jpg

Looks like this one > 6) Montenegrin Gasser. Marked on knoxform with cypher of Nicholas I of Montenegro. The huge 11mm Gasser/Montegrin cartridge had 6 variations(see Starr conversion on p.4). here >> http://home.earthlink.net/~frey2000/id2.html Scroll down to the third picture near the bottom of the page.

Here's the photo. It's the one of the far right isn't it?

post-6089-079443100 1282965517_thumb.jpg

Yeah, pretty sure that's it. Thanks :cheers:

The one on the far right in the gasser pix is CLOSE, but not the same. Lots of small

differences. The cylinder on the one you are asking about also appears to be longer.

Post some pix or descriptions of the proof marks. I'm going to bet that one of them

is a crown on top of an oval, with E L G inside the oval. Belgian.

I bet you will have small differences on the same model, caliber and barrel length. Just think (if you know) about what Colt did in the 1980s. You were just as likely to get a commander hammer as you were a spur hammer on the same model with absolutely no reason other than that's what got supplied to the assembly line that day. Now role the clock back 80 years or so and consider a military production run in Europe.

Edited by Steve J