Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

G24 w/ Dawson +5 Mag extensions=only 17rds on new mags?

Saito

Ok I just introduced myself yesterday. I shoot a G24 in Limited. I bought the Glock from a friend. I picked it up with a Vanek trigger, Ice magwell, Dawson fiber optic sights(front fiber optic only), 5 mags with +5 aluminum floor plates. It was horribly unreliable when I first got it, I changed the mag bodies out and didn't have as many problems.

My question is about the followers; I bought new mags(gen 4, with the mag catch notch on the front too) and new Dawson mag extensions. The new combo only allows me to get 17rds in the mag whereas my old combo got 19(older gen mags). I followed Dawson's instructions and looked at the follower. There wasn't anything to get rid of on the back of the follower. It is the gen 4 mags that I'm having a problem with? I put a lot of time and effort into this and trying to get this Glock to run.... I'm frustrated. Anyhow I shot a big match last weekend and had a problem other than mag capacity....

I would load and make ready, my mag seated fully, buzzer would go off, draw and fire my first round and the mag would fall right out of the mag well, not feeding another round on the way out. So, mandatory reload for me! F*^k! I isolated the magazine, but not before it got me 3 times! My G24 came with an extended mag release, but I'm swapping it for a different one, either from Vickers or another manufacturer. This is a NEW mag that I paid too much for! Do I need older mag bodies for this older G24? I'm pissed as this damn mag cost me valuable classifier time! I only got through one without getting boned by my Glock. Yes I'm looking to get an STI, but I need to keep shooting in the interim....

Sounds like you need to clean up the edges on the top of the base pads. You should be able to get 19-20 in those mags.

I have 12 Dawson pads for my 2-G34's, G17, & G35. I have never had a single issue with mags. I would get with another Glock shooter after a match and try their mags with your ammo.

Good luck!

What number follower do you have. I have run the dawsons with both old body styles and new body styles. If the follower is marked 8, you are going to have to modify them. I bevel the back of the follower rounding the corner on the back part at the bottom. I also radius the side of the bottom of the follower making it a little narrower at the bottom and rounded over. I have had to do this on every #8 follower and can get 19 or a very tight 20 when new and 20 after broken in a little. The only followers I have not had to midify were the #6 followers which are slimmer in the back than the #8

On the mag dropping,out have you checked your grip. My guess is you are hitting that extended mag release with your support hand. I would try putting in a standard factory mag release or cutting down the one you have to stock length and seeing if the problem goes away. Another extended release or one with a paddle can be even worse if thats the problem.

What kind of problems were you having with the glock? Were you shooting factory or reloads? If reloads, how long did you have them

Edited by EkuJustice

What number follower do you have. I have run the dawsons with both old body styles and new body styles. If the follower is marked 8, you are going to have to modify them. I bevel the back of the follower rounding the corner on the back part at the bottom. I also radius the side of the bottom of the follower making it a little narrower at the bottom and rounded over. I have had to do this on every #8 follower and can get 19 or a very tight 20 when new and 20 after broken in a little. The only followers I have not had to midify were the #6 followers which are slimmer in the back than the #8

On the mag dropping,out have you checked your grip. My guess is you are hitting that extended mag release with your support hand. I would try putting in a standard factory mag release or cutting down the one you have to stock length and seeing if the problem goes away. Another extended release or one with a paddle can be even worse if thats the problem.

What kind of problems were you having with the glock? Were you shooting factory or reloads? If reloads, how long did you have them

I handload all of my ammo and it's not too old. Assorted brass, 6.5 grains of HS-6, 180 grain Berry's @ 960 fps. I'm at work for another week and I don't have my Glock or ammo with me. I thought about my grip but I know it's just that one mag. A friend and I took the mag catch out and it's all plastic and worn a little, but the problem mag has some small gouges by the catch anyway(and it was a new mag). I guess the Vicker's mag catch I was looking at is more profiled and doesn't stick out as far as the factory extended catch.

Thank you for the heads up on the follower, I'll check it out when I get home. I did try beveling the back of one of them but didn't touch the sides. I could drop the follower down into the extension without issue but once assembled it was a no-go.

When I initially got the G24 a couple years ago it would throw a round to either side of the chamber as it was trying to feed and jam up. It would "bolt over base" at times too. It was a mag problem, the feed lips had a flat ridge perpendicular to the lips that the case would hang up on(these mags were pretty clapped out). Anyhow, I picked it up with everything I listed above and a CR speed holster + a couple of cheap mag pouches for 900$.

I just found the solution to all of my woes in the classified section....in the form of a high cap Caspian :mellow:

To clarify what EkuJustice said, it's not really a "part to remove"; it's more of a "bevelling the edges".

Dawson packs those extensions with instructions on how to modify the followers. It is even on their website, complete with a pdf file with pictures and a video.

That should get you back into the game.

In reference to dropping the mag, I have two questions:

1. You were doing that with a factory extended mag catch? I had a T.H.E. Products one and I'd drop the mag every time. There is a HILARIOUS video on YouTube of me demonstrating my mastery of "barracks vernacular" when mags were falling out everywhere on a stage. (It really wasn't the mag catch's fault; I have huge muscular hands and it just wasn't right for me.)

2. What grip style are you using? Thumbs Crossed (old-school revolver style) or Thumb-Over-Thumb (The "Leatham/Enos grip", as it has been described)?

Stay with Glock! We wanna keep you on the Dark Side!

Edited by Braxton1

To clarify what EkuJustice said, it's not really a "part to remove"; it's more of a "bevelling the edges".

Dawson packs those extensions with instructions on how to modify the followers. It is even on their website, complete with a pdf file with pictures and a video.

That should get you back into the game.

In reference to dropping the mag, I have two questions:

1. You were doing that with a factory extended mag catch? I had a T.H.E. Products one and I'd drop the mag every time. There is a HILARIOUS video on YouTube of me demonstrating my mastery of "barracks vernacular" when mags were falling out everywhere on a stage. (It really wasn't the mag catch's fault; I have huge muscular hands and it just wasn't right for me.)

2. What grip style are you using? Thumbs Crossed (old-school revolver style) or Thumb-Over-Thumb (The "Leatham/Enos grip", as it has been described)?

Stay with Glock! We wanna keep you on the Dark Side!

Once I'm back home in a week, I'll get those mags straight. I did read the enclosed instructions and beveled the back of a couple followers(to no avail), but didn't touch the sides. I still haven't settled on a new mag catch but my G24 has the factory extended catch. I've been shooting it for a couple years and hadn't ever had a problem with my mags falling out after the first round was fired. I'm pretty sure it's just that one mag(which is BS because it was a newly assembled mag) If you don't SLAM the fresh loaded mag home then it doesn't want to stay seated. A new lower profile catch may be the solution....I shoot "old school" with my thumb either up and out or lying next to my strong side thumb. Been looking into practicing the thumbs "forward" shooting style espoused by Chris Costa and Travis Haley but it's not built in yet, doesn't feel right for me, and I'm not sure if it's going to work for me, so I'm just going to roll with what's been working for me up til now. Lots of great reading here on this site!

That G24 is super modified so it's not as reliable as it should be. I'll post some pics of my rig once I get time. I'm just sad to be out of precious classifier time because I've got gear issues. My thinking behind getting the Glock was that any reliability issues would end, instead they were compounded. Honestly my 1911 ran FAR better and I was tempted to start shooting L10 again....Only issue I ever had with my 1911 was trying to feed it jacketed SWCs, it would feed 200 grain lead SWCs but not jacketed for some reason.

On the eddges, I just take the point off the corner on the bottom of the back. It is almost cut off then rounded. If you have any #6 followers try a mag with that combo. I have never had to modify a #6 as they are a little slimmer at the base than the #8. What modifications were done to the gun. I have one that was basically built up from a frame Vanek trigger, magwell, new guide rod, springs, lonewolf barrel and slide the works.

Also what is the OAL of your reloads. Glocks dont work loaded long like the 2011/1911s do

My ammo and pistol are back at the house, but I want to say the C.O.L. of my load is 1.120?? Possibly 1.2...off the top of my head. I didn't think to drop a round in on top of the follower once I had dropped the follower into the basepad...it may not fit down into the basepad at that length? I'd better check into that... Don't have any #6 followers that I know of(I'm not a big Glock guy but I've owned 5 of them over the years, am down to 2 now)

My G24 came to me with the Vanek trigger, ICE magwell, Dawson FO sights and a tungsten guide rod(which I swapped for the stocker). I dig the CR speed holster too, although it has boned me once or twice as well :angry2: (a small screw was installed to keep the locking tab from rotating back too far) I pretty much picked up someone elses frustrations when I bought this pistol.

• 1 month later...

Just a thought, after you insert the mag, do you seat it with a good tap then pull on it to make sure it's seated. If you are having a problem getting more than 17 rounds in the mag, then there's a chance that you aren't able to fully seat the mag and fully engage the mag release. I have the same issue if I try and squeeze 20 rounds into the mag.