Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Remington 11-87 (Problem) Update from testing

sbgruen

Well this weekend I took the gun to the Range and tried to adjust the little finger that controls the timing. It kinda worked. the shell that was ejecting and the shell that came out of the mag tube would both get stuck. I borrowed my neighbors 1187 that is almost like new and swapped out the trigger and ended up with the problem. I figured it might be the ejector at this point so I put his barrel and trigger in my gun and it shot fine. Then I put just the barrel in with my trigger assembly and it had the same feeding problem.

I am guessing at this point that it is a combination of wear on the trigger ass. and ejector on the barrel. The gun has somewhere between 15-20k rounds through it.

Am I missing something obvious here? Thought?

Thanks for all the suggestions.

Scott

The ejector is a bump on the barrel (which you can visually inspect). I sincerely doubt you have worn it out in only 20K rounds; 11-87s run for 200K rounds plus on the trap/skeet circuit. My guess is that the extractor is letting go of the case rim too early (try replacing the extractor and extractor spring).

You can tweak the finger without firing the gun. If you look at how it works, you can get a feel for how the tension should be for it to run... not so much tension that the shell cannot push the carrier release past the finger, but enough tension to hold the carrier release once it has been pushed past the finger.

Edited by StealthyBlagga

StealthyB -

I did tweak the figure a few times trying to get the release to work correctly and ended up lightening it quite a bit but without the spent shell leaving the gun I really did not get too far and that is when I started swapping out parts. I did not swap out the bolt and should do that first and see if the extractor solves the problem. I did think about it but when the swap with the barrel and trigger assembly functioned correctly I wrote off that as being the problem.

After comparing the ejectors on the 2 barrels I did notice that mine was very rounded which I figured would through off the timing slightly. The other thing that we noticed was that the shell ejected out of that barrel and the "newer" barrel was were the ejected shells were hitting the ground. Mine were about 2 ft from the gun and the other barrel was throwing them about 3-4 ft farther.....so I concluded ejector.

I'll swap out the bolt and see what happens then.

Thanks again

scott

• 1 year later...