Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

need advice on a prodcution load uning 180gr zero

Mat Price

Hi guys I need some help working up a load for production using a 180grn jhp zero

Thiking of using wst powder since i can get it real easy.

was thinking of starting with cci primers 4.2 grn wst and 1.125 oal hows that sound?

I was also thinking of using the hornady 180 grn HAP and auto comp powder.

the gun is a xd-40 with a stock spring thanks.

That sounds like a good starting point. I used some Bear Creek 180's over 4.0 grains of WST a couple of weeks ago and, although I didn't chrono them, they seemed to be about right, maybe a little hot.

I forgot to say that they were loaded to 1.16 with Federal primers and they functioned just fine in an EAA Witness with an 11 pound recoil spring.

Edited by R. Batt

• 2 weeks later...

Right now I'm using 3.9gr of WST with MG 180 @ 1.125 and really like the way it shoots out of my XD40 with a 16lb spring. I also have some 180gr Zero hp's that appear to be just like some Hornady XTP 180 that worked really well with a 3.8gr WST at 1.135. Both the Zero and the Horndy are about .30 longer than MG's so take that into consideration when loading. Hoping to get some chrono numbers this week, but "by the book" they should be north of 800 fs for a pf of 144+.

Hi guys I need some help working up a load for production using a 180grn jhp zero

Thiking of using wst powder since i can get it real easy.

was thinking of starting with cci primers 4.2 grn wst and 1.125 oal hows that sound?

What does the Hodgdon data suggest? You can use Hornady 180gr XTP data since the two are similarly shaped. R,

Edit to add: Win powder data is on the Hodgdon site.

Edited by G-ManBart