Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

extended mag release and button

foilhat

Can a extended mag release or button be used in single stack. I would like to install a release with a button, but did not know if it is allowed. Anyone use these before, did you like it or should I leave it stock. Gun is a Kimber Classic Custom.

thanks for any help.

Can a extended mag release or button be used in single stack. I would like to install a release with a button, but did not know if it is allowed. Anyone use these before, did you like it or should I leave it stock. Gun is a Kimber Classic Custom.

thanks for any help.

Not a very hard rule to find in the rule book, and the rule book is the definitive place for you to find legality as opposed to the internet.

Yes it is legal, yes I use it and like it but that does you no good, it all depends on what YOU like. Some prefer to leave it stock, some don't, it's all preference.

http://www.uspsa.org/rules/2010HandgunRulesProof3web.pdf

If you do decide to go with the extended mag release, there is one thing you have to watch out for. On loaded table starts, if you lay the gun on the side with the ext mag release, be careful you don't accidently eject the mag when you pick up the gun. Depending on how the gun is resting, if the mag release is long enough, the simple act of picking up the gun can possibly push the release just enough to unseat the mag. Result? Bang...click...mag on ground. Doh! :surprise:

I was actually thinking about getting one myself, and after witnessing someone else do this first hand, I opted to stay stock.

Now this isn't saying that it is a bad thing, and I'm not saying you shouldn't get one, as I'm sure there are plenty of guys that have them...just my two cents on something you should be aware of if you decide to get one.

Edited by CZinSC