Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

May Sti Barrel Fit In Para Frame?

mai

I get one quite new .45 STI bull barrel from friend, and I want to replace my original worn off Para barrel. I am not sure, this can be done or not. Because the lugs (I hope, I used the right word, I mean the metal extend from bottom of barrel that hold barrel-link and fit to the frame slot) of STI is flat but the lugs of PARA is round.

May I weld and file the lugs, or just fit it in as it be, or just forget about it and buy a new Barstow instead? Any suggestion for this fitting job.

Thanks

mai

Ramped bbls come in two types, that I know of. One is the Wilson/Nowlin style, where the lug is "flat" or square, and the other is the Clark/Para/Lissner style, where the lug shape is round. I'm no gunsmith, but I think that the cuts in the frame to accept each style are incompatible. A standard 1911 frame (and the 2011 frames?) can be milled to accept the Clark/Para/Lissner cut, but it is a permanent alteration.

A factory Para will, of course, have the Para cut in the frame to take the standard Para bbl. Gunsmith Para frames come with the standard frame configuration, so that most aftermarket bbls will fit them. The gunsmith frames are milled by the gunsmith to accept Clark/Para/Lissner cut bbls, if that is what you want to use.

Limcat tungsten sleeved bbls have the Clark/Para lug style. I've heard that the barrel is so heavy that the extra support is needed.

Milling and fitting barrel lugs or frames are pretty precise procedures. A gunsmith can tell you a lot more than I can.

the lugs/frame cut is not the biggest problem why this cannot work: If you have a Para slide (maybe you have an STI or other slide on your Para frame? Then disregard this..) the internal dimension is too large to fit an STI bull barrel. There is "play" between barrel and slide where you need it most to have any kind of accuracy. Only the Ed Brown bull barrel is big enough externally to fit to a Para slide.

--Detlef

I am sorry, I made typing error and also didn't give enough information. Actually, I have got all upper parts of .40STI (bbl, slide, front and rear sights etc.) and I wanted to fit them to my P14 Ltd.

So the main concearn is round/flat lug. I investigated my PARA lug, there is no clear evidance of metal to metal contact between lug and frame (just a little bright trace). That's why I belive that the lug is not made for absorb recoil force.

Please give me more answers

Thank You

Mai