Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

California And The Demise Of The Crime Bill.

GordonB

If the Crime Bill sunsets how will this affect us Californians?

I know we still can't get high caps or buy AR's/FALS/etc.

But for those who already had post-ban AR's/FALS/etc can we legally put threaded barrels (without welding/soldering something on) on a post-ban? Can we put those cool bayo-lugs and flash suppressors :D back on our guns?

(Sorry if this is the wrong-forum for this.)

If the AW bill sunsets, it will not change anything for us Californians. The Assualt Weapon Bill passed in CA has nothing to do with the 1994 Federal law. You will still not be able to have a bayo-lug or flash suppressor on you evil gun :ph34r:

I was under the impression that the only thing prohibiting us Kalifornians (who already have AR's) and non-Kalifornians was the federal Crime Bill from putting on a threaded barrel and other "evil" features on a post-ban rifle.

http://caag.state.ca.us/firearms/regs/sb23.htm

SB23 back in 2000 required us to register "evil" weapons and stopped the further sale and transfer of such weapons in Kaliban.

Now I know that if I bought a Mini-14 today (and therefore wasn't registered back in 2000) I can't slap on a threaded barrel, flash suppressor or other evil features because of 1) the federal Crime Bill and 2) SB23.

So if the Crime Bill sunsets, only 2) SB23 would stop us Kalifornians from slapping on "evil" features.

But if the above link is the full text or result of SB23, the only thing that I see that can stop someone from putting on banned features is a lack of registration. The words "manufacture", "assemble" or "create" isn't even on the text of SB23.

So which Kali law prohibits registered owners of post-ban AR's/M1A's/FALS etc. to put on more "evil" features?

A clarification would help me out in a future modification. I want to put a compensator on a post ban. A threaded barrel makes putting on compensators with ease. I would greatly prefer to wait until the Crime Bill sunsets and just thread the barrel. But if it doesn't affect Kalifornians, then I would have to regretably have the compensator permanently welded on.

I am pretty sure you can have threaded comps now (maybe not in Kali though). You just can't use a thread configuration for which an evil flash suppressor is available. At least some of the big name rifle builders thread their comps on their post-ban barrels they just use a thread that is "safe". Then a bit of red locktite and away you go.

I believe you can also silver solder them on. Silver solder is "reversible" unlike welding but not exactly something that can be done quickly and easily in the field.