Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shooting Form?

GordonB

Wow, Ron is windy. Use on the street??? I think he means rural routes. There is lots of info on rifle, shotgun technique. Start perusing AMU literature and Marine Corp advanced marksmanship manuals, then get Mr. Tubbs book on high power shooting. Then find Jack O conners book on shotgun. Good luck in your quwest! KURTM

GordonB:

Woohoo!! thats the stuff! Pat has condensed the essence of rifle shooting into a good little article. Remember what works for one, may not work for another! David Tubbs would give a Marine AMU instructor fits, but he is winning! I think a good grounding in the baisics...bone support, trigger press, sight alignment, is imperitive!! It was realy brought home this weekend. We were shoting flash targets at 200yds, one guy with a scope was hitting about 30-50 percent of the time, with a rifle sighted at 200 from field positions, and these positions looked good. Matt, on the other hand was hitting about 20 percent with his SKS from less than conventional positions. I gave Matt my iron sighted AR with the extended sight radius ( ymc sight at the end of the barrel ), just to try, thinkng It was technique rather than skill. I expected about 20-40 percent hits, just because of the better trigger. On Matt's 13th round he finaly had a miss, causing one guy to remark " it's about time!" This was all from a sitting position, no sling!! watching him for the next 10 rounds it was obvious that Matt had bone support, not in the " classic " sense of the word, but what he had worked out over the years. He had great trigger control inspite of the SKS ( I think it's because he shots pistol well ), and he knew how to look at aperture sights! As long as you are comfortable, and know where your sights are, you should hit. If you are fighting your rifle, its time to get back to the basics!! KURTM