Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Paraman is starting over

paraman1

So after a 6 year hiatus from handgun comp's my skills have degenerated to point that I think I can honestly start over . It will be a perfect opportunity to start fresh and re-learn the sport while leaving behind my bad habits that kept me in a C-class rut for nearly 4 years .

I started back a week ago shooting my G17 in limited class where I finished dead last with a whopping 3.85% of the points the match winner had . That being considered I believe I have no where to go but up from here ;)

I already have a proper limited gun on its way and an idea as to what equipment I would like to be running on the belt . That coupled with BE and Saul Kirsch's books in my hand and Matt Burkett's videos sitting in the DVD player I will attempt to build a solid platform to compete from rather than the haphazard , fast-shooting and fast running lunatic platform I was shooting off of before .

We shall see how it all goes for me and I will try and post regularly as to my progress in this endeavor .

Edited by paraman1

Shot a Steel challenge match on Monday night with a borrowed gun , holster and some ammo I had never shot before . I finished middle of the pack which wasn't too bad considering the pistol started to fail to eject towards the end . Have been reading Brians book and collecting gear .

I traded my box stock G17 for something a little more suitable for limited class in the form of a Para P-16 limited that has been fairly well worked over and 4 mags with Dawson Basepads . Got to go shoot it and adjust the sights but cannot really do much dry fire practice as I don't have a holster for it just yet .

Whilst waiting for my holster and some other stuff to show up for the Para I shot another steel challenge match yesterday . I used a MkII Ruger and finished second in the .22 class and 4th overall :)Excellent practice for making smooth target to target transitions as well as watching the sights .

I am thinking I may buy a GSG 1911-22 just to shoot the steel challenges with and use the Para for when steel targets have to fall and paper has to be scored . I will just tell my wife "Its so the kids will have something they can shoot."

• 7 months later...

Still chugging away at it . Finally got all my mag pouches and picked up an airsoft so I could practice in the backyard (squirrels hate it).Its been too cold and wet to shoot matches but the weather is starting to turn around and I should be able to get outside and practice with live ammo ;)

I did shoot my first 3-gun match Sunday and my best stages were shot with the pistol , of course the fact that both my AR and my Shotgun puked may have been a contributing factor to that :D I finished middle of the pack overall but 12th out of 14 for my class ... LOL