Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Kahr P380

I guess it was two years ago that we bought my wife a Kahr PM-9 as her running gun and it really impressed me....very accurate, 100% reliable and simple. With that as a background, I've been thinking that for the hot months I'd really like a backup gun for when I'm just wearing shorts and an untucked shirt covering my normal carry gun (mostly a G23). The PM-9 will work for pocket carry, but it's marginal for me (not a big guy) and that would mean the wifey couldn't carry the PM-9 if she wanted to. I figured I'd get a .380 (no, it will never be the only thing I carry) and thought it was smart to get another Kahr just in case she ever wants to shoot it...one less platform for her to be familiar with. It took a while, but eventually the local shop got a couple of P380s in and I went with the standard two-tone with Trijicon night sights.

First outing I put 100 rounds of Win white box and 20 rounds of Speer 90gr GDHP through it. In the first couple of magazines it had one case stovepipe with an empty mag and it wasn't locking the slide back 100% of the time. I'm pretty sure not locking back and the stovepipe were related. I didn't have time to do any real accuracy work, but I was had no problems hitting a 10" plate as far back as 25yds.

The second range trip I put 100 rounds of Sellier & Bellot 93(?)gr FMJs and another 20 Speer 90gr GDHPs through it. No "malfunctions", but it still wasn't locking the slide back when empty. I shot two 5-shot groups with the Speer ammo at 25yds and they were both in the 3-4" range. With such a short sight radius and long trigger press it's clearly not an easy gun to shoot tight groups with at distance, but with a little more practice I know I could shrink those group sizes. Still, I think that's more than acceptable for it's intended purpose. I also ran the Speer ammo over the chrono and got an average of 935fps, which is pretty close to what Speer lists (990fps). I had two rounds left so I walked off 12yds and put two rounds in the upper A zone, making one nice, oval hole, half an inch right...need to drift the rear sight a touch.

Third trip out I put another 50 rounds of the S&B through it and suddenly the slide started locking back every time when empty. Kahr says to put 200 rounds through it before you trust it, and I guess they know what they're talking about. Honestly, I could live with the slide not locking back as this is only going to be a backup gun, but it's nice that it seems to have settled in (probably the recoil spring taking a set).

I'm going to order some Cor-Bon ammo and see how both their normal JHP and DPX ammo works, but before long there will be a new .380 offering, from a big name in the USPSA/IPSC world, that promises to be the best .380 ammo you can buy....more to follow on that. I've read quite a bit about Buffalo Bore .380 and some folks report that it has blown the side plate off their P380, and that's more than I want to deal with. As it is, I'm happy with the gun and think it's a solid little piece, if a bit pricey compared to some of the competition. I can even see where such a small, light gun would be handy in a coat pocket during colder months; primary gun in a belt holster that will be harder to get to, but the .380 in an outer pocket where you can have your hand on it and nobody would be the wiser. In short, I guess it just opens up some possibilities you wouldn't otherwise have available. Now, I just need to keep Momma from shooting it so she doesn't try to steal it :lol: R,

I forgot to add that it's not at all unpleasant to shoot. I had several guys at work try it and they all said the same thing "wow, that's nice". I'm not sure you'd want to put 100+ rounds through many other .380s in one day, but with this, you wouldn't think about it twice. :cheers: