Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Last Round Left

xsniper

I just took three of my old 38 super Para magazines and upgraded them with new followers, extended springs, Arredondo basepad insert and Dawson base pads, all ordered from Dawson Precision. They function fine...except the slide locks back with one round left. How can I trouble shoot this??

You can do one of two things- modify the followers or modify the slide stop. Take the top end off the gun, reinstall the slide stop. Insert a mag loaded with one round, slowly, and you'll be able to see what's pushing the slide stop up. The problem I had with old Paras, built on the gunsmith frame, was that there was enough slop/room in the magwell so the mags could rock back and forth, hitting the slide stop. I just modify the slide stop so it can't be activated by the magazine.

You can do one of two things- modify the followers or modify the slide stop. Take the top end off the gun, reinstall the slide stop. Insert a mag loaded with one round, slowly, and you'll be able to see what's pushing the slide stop up. The problem I had with old Paras, built on the gunsmith frame, was that there was enough slop/room in the magwell so the mags could rock back and forth, hitting the slide stop. I just modify the slide stop so it can't be activated by the magazine.

Exactly. In any 'Run & Gun' you don't need to have your gun go into slide lock; with the 'possible' exception of Production Division & IDPA. I shot L10 for 15 years & disabled the slide lock on whatever gun I was using. Mantra in L10 & Production: Move = reload.