Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Best Caliber for Open

cypher

Just curious... as I don't plan on going to Open class any time soon.

What do you guys think?  I mean as I understand it you can't make major using the the .38 Super or it's 9mm cousins (or can you).  So why wouldn't you pick a .40?

I have heard that the caliber of choice for an open gun is .38 Super and wondered why.

Is it mag capacity.  How many more does the Super hold in a 140mm mag v. a .40 in the same length mag?

Please enlighten me..

Homero

Homero

The only choice is 38 Super or variants. They hold 3 or more rounds in a 170 mm mag which is the Open limit. You could shoot a 40 comped open gun but would give up those rounds(big disadvantage) and maybe a little on the shot to shot times. All top shooters shoot 38 Super.9x23/Super comp/TJ. I shoot a 115 gr going 1450 fps so major is no problem. In fact thats why we first started using Supers. Lighter bullets going fast means less recoil and better comp action ( round count too)

"Come to the dark side. The force is strong in you Luke"

Homero,

Bill has covered just about all of it.

The only reason to shoot 40 in open would be if you are set up to reload 40 and do not want to spend the money or hassle with having 2 calibers.

To keep the investment to a minimum, you could have a second top end fitted with a Doctor Sight so you could shoot the same frame in open & limited. One frame, 2 top ends and one reloading press.  

Agree - with the lower 165 PF, both the weaker, rimmed 38 Super, the rimless but identical 38 supercomp, and the stronger 9x23/9 Supercomp are safe and work well with little recoil in a good open gun - plus you can fit about 28 to 30 9mm cases staggered in a mag with a max overall length of 170mm.

Most folks safely made the old 175 PF with traditional 38 super and traditional powders - todays loads are that much safer.

Don't forget that some 9mm mags and frames are too short to handle 9x23 or 38 sup. - such as the Glock 19/34.  This is why some international shooters elect to load 9x19 to the new lower major and why a very few US shooters circumvent the 9mm major ban by using 9x21 cases, but loading major 9mm to the same OAL as 9x19.  Most people safely compete with 9mm major (or 9x21 in the US) which sort of defeats many of the arguments in the US against short 9x19 major.  

Check out forums on http://www.pistolsmith.com and go to the 9x23 forum - look at the old post - "9x23 - view from the hills" for some very interesting history of both 38 and 9x23.