Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dillon equipment prefer certain primer?

Hi I am a long timer lurker of this site and have been using an XL 650 for a few years now and I would like to say that in the past I have tried Fiocchi small pistol primers and found that they have caused me problems I have about 5 pickup tubes and only one of them will pick up the Fiocchi primers :angry2: so I rang Dillon tech support and they told me that Federal are what they would use.

I have just purchased a Super 1050 and got some extra pick tubes and tried some new Fiocchi small pistol primers in these pick-up tubes and had the same result as before they just wont go up the tube no matter what <_< so I will be sticking to what Dillon told me to use.

Just thought you might like to know just in case.

I started reloading one year ago with Fiocchi small pistol primers because they were very cheap.

Each time, I switched to Federal primers, the problem went away. I thought this trouble comes from the brass but whatever brass I use, the trouble persists.

• 4 weeks later...

I only use CCI or Winchester primers in my 650; probably because of a habit of 20 years of only using those brands in my Lee progressives, since those were the two brands they recommended. I have no trouble with either of these brands. I think trouble is more likely to come from a dirty primer feed mechanism or from a few types of cases that have a very sharp radius on the primer pocket than from a particular brand of primers.

Win sp primers have always fed well in my 650. In the past i have had some CCI sp primers flip and seat either on the side or upside down. I get more high primer rejects with CCI for some reason. I will still use them but WIN. is my first choice. Brett