Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Is it faster than standard dialup ?

Any drawbacks ?

I have 26.4 connection , S...L...O...W...

Any help appreciated. As long as you don't use tech terms I have to look up .

I am digitally challenged.

Thanks in advance.

Travis F.

I'm skeptical.

They claim it loads web pages faster, but not files, streaming video, etc. That can only mean they're using some kind of predictive downloading scheme. Like, it parses the page you're looking at and pre-emptively downloads all the links, so that if you click on one the page has already been retrieved. It'll help if you browse slowly and tend to follow links, but if you click through pages rapidly or zoom all over the web it won't make much difference.

It might help, but I certainly wouldn't pay any more for it. If you really want speed, do yourself a favor and get cable :wub:

Monster, some of us do not have cable available, nor DSL, and the only high speed option is something like Direcway, at high prices ($99/month), or dialup. Or take my laptop to a coffee shop which has free wireless; the Austin area is good for this, but it does not do me any good checking email and be.com first thing in the morning. ;)

Travis, I do not know about Netzero; I have used Earthlink's version, which has a setting for graphics quality, so they additionally compress things like JPEG pictures. Earthlink's FAQ has details, Netzero must have the same info somewhere. "Accelerator" worked as advertised, unfortunately, I do not use "Accelerator" anymore, because it has the additional feature of locking up my browser too much. I chose Earthlink because of local access numbers in unlikely places, and I travel enough that this is nice.

Lee