Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Redding Competition Seating Die

EricW

I just got my RCSD set up. It's absolutely bomber. There's not much not to like. My only "issue" is that the mouth of the die is a bit narrow so it takes some of the bell out of the case on the way in - which with cast bullets can scrape some of the lube off the case and leave a little lube ring around the case mouth.

It's an absolute no-brainer to set up. I'll never use another seating die again. I just don't get nasty case wall bulges like with other seaters.

No need for a lock. Just zero it properly and you'll never have to worry. If you deviate from zero, just make a note of your settings and redial it in. If that mic has more than +/-.001" backlash, I'd be shocked. It's a pretty solid piece of equipment.

Setup (for those who wondered):

Adjust the die down so it hits the shellplate (ram up) then back it off until the micrometer gradations are in a convenient spot. Lock the die down. Set the micrometer so that it is zeroed out. Then, using the large allen wrench (supplied), place the long end of the wrench into the hole at the end of the micrometer. This is the "calibration" adjustment. You will use this to adjust your "zero" seating depth. Use the wrench to adjust the seater to the correct OAL length for your ammo while holding the micrometer at zero and... Shazam! You're done and zeroed.

No muss. No fuss.

I too am a RCSD believer now. I purchased one from Midway last Monday, and loaded about 600 rounds with it Thursday. I had been using the stock Dillon die in my 650, and because of the long OAL and short bullet in my 9 major load, I was suffering some bullet wobble when rolled on a flat surface. It was so severe in some rounds that they wouldn't pass the case gauge because the bullet was dragging due to the wobble. With the RCSD, Viola!, no more wobble. Not even a little bit. Daddy likes!...(if you couldn't tell)