Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Square range drills for steel matches

davester00

Can any one point me in the right direction toward live fire drills I can do @ a in door pistol range that allows holster draws.

All i really do is the infamous dot drill.

Someone please point me in the right direction so I could make the most use of my time at an indoor square range.

thank you.

links to websites and videos are helpful

Get a timer with a par setting. Find a time that you can draw to the target and get a good sight picture and trigger squeeze. Drop that time about a .10 of a second and see if you can match it until you do. Record your hits. Drop the time another .10. See if you can match it. Record your hits again for accuracy. See if you are trading speed for accuracy. That is not what you really want to do. You are trying to teach your eyes and hands to do their jobs faster while still maintaining good accuracy.

That is a simple one really. Just do it over and over again. Pay attention to your grip. See is you are smooth out to your extenson. Try and see that front sight as soon as posssible. Train yourself to shift fron target to sight focus more quickly. It will take time, but it will get better.

JZ

If your range allows fast draws, you are lucky.

See if they will also allow more than one target.

If so, scatter five small circles, of various sizes, on them to simulate a steel challenge stage.

If they only allow one target, directly in front of you, put up the largest one you can,

and use five smaller circles spread over the surface and shoot them closer.

You should be able to reproduce some of the challenge stages this way.

Edited by g.willikers