Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Live fire drills for public range?

I only have access to a stall type public range that only allows you to shoot at 1 target at a time with no draws from a holster.

Which is not a big problem because I can practice draws, sight picture, transitions, and reloads dry firing in my basement.

However I can not practice recoil managment dry firing.

What would be a good live fire drill at a public range to improve recoil managment for classifiers?

I figured bill drills without drawing would be good.

Any thoughts?

Edited by Philo_Beddoe

One of our local ranges has similar restrictions, only one target, plus only one round fired per second and no human type targets.

I use one cardboard backing with four circles, six inch above eight inch to represent the A zones of two uspsa or idpa targets, side by side.

(Or use six inch squares over 6 x 11 inch rectangles)

If there's no restrictions on the size of the target you can use, add even more to represent three or four targets.

Or make them smaller to simulated longer range targets and wider transitions.

Also the targets can be partially covered to simulate hard cover or no shoots.

One round per circle or square, in various sequence, stays within the rules and provides decent practice.

If you can rapid fire, then it's even better.

This method actually works better than it sounds.

Howdy there.

I have the same dilemma. I'd say my favorite drill is a bill drill at 10yds, 15yds, and 25yds taping in between. Kind of like a modified version of the Max Michel triple six drill. Probably less productive, but hey, you've gotta run with what you've got. Other than that I do a lot of 2-reload-2 and failure to stop.

I use a classic black B-27 with a piece of white paper 6"x11" taped to the chest and a 3x5 card taped to the head. Every once in a while, I'll fold the B27 in half upward and tape up two 1/3 scale targets (like this one, http://www.tgscom.com/images/sharedimages/GlockFAQ/ipsc.pdf) at the opposite edges of the folded B-27. I feel like the tiny A-zones sharpen my front sight focus, plus, you've got a small transition to play with.

Hope this helps. Keep on keepin' on.